PDA

View Full Version : How to disable USB Generic Multicard?

tripzilch
October 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hi, I have a Medion Akoya E1212 netbook (which is an ALDI rebrand of the MSI Wind netbook) and naturally I'm trying to get the longest battery life possible :)

Already running Ubuntu (Lucid) Netbook Edition (though Moblin seems interesting too) and of course keeping a close look at powertop.

One of the things powertop can do, is disable unused USB devices [with the 'U' key]. There is, however, one persistent USB device that keeps popping up in powertop's list no matter how often I press 'U': my SD-card drive (which is apparently internally connected via USB). And it appears in the list regardless of whether I have inserted an SD-card in it or not.

When I use Nautilus to navigate to computer://, I can see the SD-card drive as an icon named "USB Generic Multicard", sitting next to my internal harddisk. I can rightclick and "eject" it, causing the icon to disappear, and the entry in powertop's list disappears as well.

My question, is there a way to make sure that the "USB Generic Multicard" USB device doesn't mount at all during startup? [Or, preferably that it detects whether an SD card it present (rarely) to decide whether to mount or not].

And if anyone knows the command-line command to "eject" the USB Generic Multicard device, that would also be great cause it would save me starting Nautilus every time (which is slow).

amlamarra
January 5th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I have that same device showing up on my Toshiba NB305, except I'm running Windows 7... It just started showing up after I plugged in a Western Digital "My Passport" 1 TB external hard drive. I can disable the device, but it'll just come back if I try to uninstall it. Strange.