PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dualboot :: no grub - error 15

Ampi
October 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Yesterday my 5th ubuntunisation took place :)

But still this guy wanted a dualboot just in case. So I did. Of course I had to reinstall grub to make sure both systems would show on boot (I first installed Ubuntu, then Windows).
I tried all night, I just couldn't work it out.

I tried everything I could find on the web, but it just didn't work. The only system that shows up is Ubuntu. I also looked at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows. Everytime I try

find /boot/grub/stage1
I get a grub error 15. All the fixes include a step where I get an error. Any other ideas? Maybe reinstall Windows?

It's Windows 7 and it is installed on the first primary partition. Ubuntu is on the rest of the disk in an extended partition with seperate swap partition, seperate /home partition (ext4) and a seperate /DATA partition (xfs).

Rubi1200
October 25th, 2010, 02:05 PM
From a LiveCD, post the results of the boot-script linked at the bottom of my post.

The results will make offering solutions easier.

Thanks.

Ampi
October 25th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks, as Im not behind my friend's computer itll have to wait a little bit.. as soon as I know Ill post the results here.

psusi
October 25th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Error 15 is what you get when grub legacy's MBR boot code can not load the grub image. It is not a possible result of the find command. You must mean that the find command reports that the file is not found, and that is because grub2 does not have a stage1 file.

Ampi
October 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM
@Psusi: Thanks for the explanation. The whole grub-thing is one of the things a still don't understand.. :(

@Rubi1200: Maybe a stupid question, but the script has to be run from the liveCD? The computer automatically boots up into Ubuntu, cant I do it from there? In that case I might be able to explain him by email how to do it. If not Ill bring him a liveCD and do it myself :)

wilee-nilee
October 27th, 2010, 09:14 AM
@Psusi: Thanks for the explanation. The whole grub-thing is one of the things a still don't understand.. :(

@Rubi1200: Maybe a stupid question, but the script has to be run from the liveCD? The computer automatically boots up into Ubuntu, cant I do it from there? In that case I might be able to explain him by email how to do it. If not Ill bring him a liveCD and do it myself :)

You can run the script from the installed Ubuntu. You can have them run it and send the text to you as a attachment in a email then post it. Post it in code tags by clicking on the # in the reply and put the text in between the tags.

psusi
October 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Umm... I thought the whole problem was that it wouldn't boot? If it boots into Ubuntu then what is the problem? No option to boot Windows? Running sudo update-grub should pick up Windows, but yes, running the boot info script will provide all relevant information to diagnose the problem.