PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome 3 graphics requirements

ratdude747
October 25th, 2010, 06:15 AM
ok, this is pretty frustrating.

i tried gnome out on my laptop. very slow. and all the text is a bunch of blocks.

this makes no sense, as my eee pc 1000HE with the atom's mediocre graphics ran the shell fine before the screen got smashed.

my laptop is a dell latitude d400, with the intel 855gm integrated graphics chip. I am using ubuntu 10.10. I was using ppa:ricotz/testing for gnome shell.

any advice?

nilarimogard
October 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM
The Ricotz Testing PPA is empty: https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing/+packages so it seems you've actually installed Gnome Shell from the official Ubuntu repositories (which is old).

ratdude747
October 25th, 2010, 12:16 PM
odd... gnome's site must be way off then.

3Miro
October 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM
odd... gnome's site must be way off then.

Gnome shell's site are constantly updating the thing. They are working on it as we type, which is why they are having stability issues.

ratdude747
October 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM
no, i meant the site said his ppa was the most up to date... still says that even though the ppa is empty.

nilarimogard
October 28th, 2010, 01:30 PM
The PPA used to have Gnome Shell builds... and it will probably have them again after some more testing with the latest Gnome Shell and GTK3.

Harry33
October 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
ok, this is pretty frustrating.
I am using ubuntu 10.10. I was using ppa:ricotz/testing for gnome shell.
any advice?

Well for Maverick (10.10) I think there will be no more GS PPA's.
The 2.31.5 version of the official repos is the last one that goes with GTK2.0.

If it is newer GS you need, start upgrading to Natty ( =>11.04).
For Natty you can use GS ppa:ricotz/staging wich is already a working one.
There you will find GS_2.91.1 and GTK3.0_2.91.2 already now.
Still one will find a warning there not use that PPA.

nilarimogard
October 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM
He usually just tests the packages in the staging ppa and then moves it to the testing PPA - so he might copy the packages for Maverick too (if they can be built using the Maverick packages). If not, you can always compile it, it's just a bunch of copy/paste commands (but it's true the actual process takes quite some time...).