PDA

View Full Version : [C] Writing into full pipes

KdotJ
October 24th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to C programming and playing around with a few things, I also have a book which I'm teaching myself from. I have been looking a system calls (such as fork(), pipe() etc).

Now I understand that a pipe has a buffer capacity and you cannot write into a full pipe... So I have been looking at way to catch this, but I'm not having much luck.

Say I have a pipe that is never read from, how to I check I can't write to it anymore? I would have thought the code below would work but the program just hangs. I know that write() returns the number of bytes written (Am I correct?) and one of the parameters is the bytes to be written (Am I correct again?), so therefor, if the return value for write() is not equal to the size of the expected bytes to be written, then the following loop should break...

while (write(descriptor, (char *)&i, sizeof(i)) == sizeof(i)) {
/* do stuff here */
}

(take all other variables as being valid here). Am I missing something simple here? does the program just hang waiting for the pipe to have space?

I also realise I am completely wrong. So any help is appreciated.

jpkotta
October 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to C programming and playing around with a few things, I also have a book which I'm teaching myself from. I have been looking a system calls (such as fork(), pipe() etc).

Now I understand that a pipe has a buffer capacity and you cannot write into a full pipe... So I have been looking at way to catch this, but I'm not having much luck.

Say I have a pipe that is never read from, how to I check I can't write to it anymore? I would have thought the code below would work but the program just hangs. I know that write() returns the number of bytes written (Am I correct?) and one of the parameters is the bytes to be written (Am I correct again?), so therefor, if the return value for write() is not equal to the size of the expected bytes to be written, then the following loop should break...

while (write(descriptor, (char *)&i, sizeof(i)) == sizeof(i)) {
/* do stuff here */
}

(take all other variables as being valid here). Am I missing something simple here? does the program just hang waiting for the pipe to have space?

I also realise I am completely wrong. So any help is appreciated.

When creating/opening the pipe, use the O_NONBLOCK flag. Then write() will return with an error instead of just sitting there.

apt-get install manpages-dev
man 7 pipe

Lux Perpetua
October 25th, 2010, 04:19 AM
You can use poll() to check if a write to a given file descriptor would block. It works for pipes. Here's an example:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <poll.h>

int is_writeable(int fd) {
struct pollfd p;
int ret;

p.fd = fd;
p.events = POLLOUT;

ret = poll(&p, 1, 0);

if (ret < 0) {
/* We could check the value of errno here
* to find out why it failed.
*/
fprintf(stderr, "poll failed\n");
exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}

return p.revents & POLLOUT;
}

int main(void) {
int pipefds[2];
int chars = 0;

char c;

if (pipe(pipefds)) {
fprintf(stderr, "pipe failed\n");
exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}

while (is_writeable(pipefds[1])) {
write(pipefds[1], &c, 1);
++chars;
}

printf("%d bytes written before poll returned `false'.\n", chars);
getc(stdin);

/* The following loop confirms that we can write a further
* 4095 bytes after poll returns false (I guess because we can't
* write a full 4096 bytes (= PAGE_SIZE? PIPE_BUF?))
*/

chars = 0;

while (1) {
write(pipefds[1], &c, 1);
++chars;
printf("%d\t", chars);
fflush(stdout);
}

exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}I don't understand it completely, but the data granularity of poll() on Linux (and select()) seems to be larger than 1 byte (4096 bytes, to be exact). Unfortunately, I can't find any documentation about this. The code above illustrates the granularity issue by trying to write to the pipe even after poll() says we can't. When I run the code on my Arch Linux machine, I get 61441 bytes from the first loop and 4095 bytes from the second loop. (Note that 61441 + 4095 = 65536, the full Linux pipe capacity.) I get very different results on FreeBSD and SunOS.