PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] problem installing netbook remix 10.10 on eeePC 900

Iain Halliday
October 24th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I've had this eeePC 900 for two years, which came with Linux preinstalled. Over time I haven't really been able to upgrade software and it's reached the stage where this is preventing me from using the machine properly for my work and for such things as listening to BBC radio over the internet.

I'm here in Austin, Texas for a month and was recently pointed in the direction of Ubuntu by some kind people here. At the moment I'm writing from Ubuntu 10.10 running on a USB stick and it looks very promising indeed, with all the hardware recognized and functioning properly. When I try to install the system, however, the program hangs. I have noticed that 10 seconds or so into the process I get a crash report: "Sorry, the program 'parted_server' closed unexpectedly". Could this be the reason why the program hangs? Is there something I need to do to the machine to make the OS install?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

Iain

Iain Halliday
October 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM
In the end I got it installed after wiping clean the two flash disks and preparing a data card with "Startup Disk Creator" rather than a usb pendrive. It seems to be running fine.