PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get Empathy to open up a new window on incoming chat?

jabalsad
October 24th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hi all,

I've been looking for a solution but can't seem to find any. When a new chat is received in Empathy, the notification area icon turns green and a popup window appears in the top right corner. This is great if I happen to look at the top-right corner of the screen and if my icon wasn't green before, because then I'm aware of the incoming chat. However, if my icon is green the entire day and I happened to miss the incoming notification bubble, I have no idea that I actually received a new message. What's more, to get to the new chat I have to go through two clicks (one on the mail icon and then again on the name of the person messaging me). Is it possible to get Empathy to open up a new window on incoming chat automatically?

Many thanks.

jabalsad
October 25th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Bump. No love?

ercarta
October 26th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Edit -> Preferences -> under Behavior put a check mark where it reads "Open new chats in seperate windows". I don't use the setting myself but I hope it works out for you.

martinschroeder
December 31st, 2010, 10:38 AM
That doesn't do it. The function of this checkbox is to open a new window for every contact you chose to chat with.

Does anyone know, how to restore the pidgin behavior (open windows on new messages)?

flipik
January 4th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hello everyone,
I have same problem. Could anyone give an advice?
thanks.

Crash1hd
January 7th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Actually this was driving me nuts as well, found out that on the general preferences page under behaviour there is a Display incoming events in the notification area (if you turn this off then you will get the chat windows again) :) Now if there was only a way to get it to stop setting me away when I am away from the keyboard (hate having it change)