PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Steps Needed to Install Windows 7 from a USB drive using Linux

rukkin
October 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
How to Install Windows 7 using Linux
1. Download Windows 7 iso
2. Acquire a removable drive (4GB minimum)
3. Format Removable Drive as NTFS
a.System >Administration >Disk Utility
b.If the removable drive has an partition what you are going to want to do is unmount the partition to be able to Format the removable drive then remember to format it as NTFS
c.After it is done formating you will want to create a partition
d.What you are going to want to do after is go to Partition Settings and check the box for bootable
4.After you have finished setting up the removable drive what you will want to do is mount the Windows 7 iso
5.After mounting the .iso you will want to copy all the files inside and copy them to the removable drive
6.After the files have finished coping over open up the terminal:

Applications >Accessories >Terminal
7.Type in: sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr (then hit Enter)
Type in: sudo apt-get install lilo (then hit Enter)
8.After it finishes installing reboot your computer
9.When your computer turns on press F12 until the boot options appear
10.Then go to "Hard Disk"
11.After that you will want to go to your USB drive
12.Once you have selected your USB drive the computer will automatically reboot
13.Once you computer reboots it will start installing Windows 7 from your removable drive
14. Congratulations (Be patient because it takes a bit for everything to start installing because it is having to get all the information from the USB drive.)

P.S. Took me about six hours to be able to get it working, I made many mistakes and tried different ways of doing it and this seemed to be the best and fastest way to do it if you have no CD/DVD Drive in your computer.

Hope you enjoy

nicvia
November 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
How to Install Windows 7 using Linux
1. Download Windows 7 iso
2. Acquire a removable drive (4GB minimum)
3. Format Removable Drive as NTFS
a.System >Administration >Disk Utility
b.If the removable drive has an partition what you are going to want to do is unmount the partition to be able to Format the removable drive then remember to format it as NTFS
c.After it is done formating you will want to create a partition
d.What you are going to want to do after is go to Partition Settings and check the box for bootable
4.After you have finished setting up the removable drive what you will want to do is mount the Windows 7 iso
5.After mounting the .iso you will want to copy all the files inside and copy them to the removable drive
6.After the files have finished coping over open up the terminal:

Applications >Accessories >Terminal
8.After it finishes installing reboot your computer
9.When your computer turns on press F12 until the boot options appear
10.Then go to "Hard Disk"
11.After that you will want to go to your USB drive
12.Once you have selected your USB drive the computer will automatically reboot
13.Once you computer reboots it will start installing Windows 7 from your removable drive
14. Congratulations (Be patient because it takes a bit for everything to start installing because it is having to get all the information from the USB drive.)

P.S. Took me about six hours to be able to get it working, I made many mistakes and tried different ways of doing it and this seemed to be the best and fastest way to do it if you have no CD/DVD Drive in your computer.

Hope you enjoy

Will this also work if, instead of the .iso file, I used all of the files in my Windows 7 DVD?

sikander3786
November 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM

I fear this might mess up one's MBR and make his system unbootable. It is too dangerous to try.

Can you explain a bit?

nicvia
November 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I fear this might mess up one's MBR and make his system unbootable. It is too dangerous to try.

Can you explain a bit?

Thanks for the warning. Whew

nicvia
November 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I have a feeling that the OP will never reply...

kimchi_sg
November 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Steps after #5 don't seem to be needed, see this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9458199&postcount=6)