PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I make an install dvd from my existing installation?

electroken
October 24th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I would like to get my system installed with all the software I seem to need to use and get everything all running the way I want it to and then make a dvd which will include all the items in my install. I want to be able to help a friend put his computer on Ubuntu with the same items installed I have but he is not able to get on the internet with anything other than a slow dial up connection. He also has to take his computer to his parents house to allow it to go on line so I would like to make a live dvd for him to use to try my setup and also be able to use the dvd to install it on his own computer.
I am not so good at the command line yet so this might be beyond my newbie abilities right now, but I would like to know if it is possible to do this. I assume if he has a computer where drivers are needed by Ubuntu it might be necessary to go on line to make the system work anyway, but it is worth a try I think.
Also I would like this dvd so I can install my existing system on my other machines without going through all that downloading again.
As another side issue, how does Ubuntu find drivers for the different computers it installs on? Can I also find the drivers my friend might need and put them in a certain directory where Ubuntu could find them during the install?
I know this is a lot to ask at once but it is all part of the same issue for me.
thanks

Mistiq Dragon
October 24th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I can't give a lot of helpful info, but I can at least point you in the right direction hopefully.

I would advise you to look into Remasterys(sp?) I've used it once to do what you wanted to do, it looks like. I would advise that before you use it, you try to trim the fat(getting rid of Unnecessary programs and programs that duplicate functions) from your install.

It seems to work okay, but it won't burn the file if your system is too bloated. Maybe one of the experts in here can give you better advice

electroken
October 24th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Well from the looks of all the problems being had with simple installs of 10.10 there is little time to devote to my small issue.
I knew that in the windows world it would be an impossible task to perform since the OS is being greatly protected from being duplicated, but thought it might be a distinct possibility here in Ubuntu land.
I am a patient kind of guy and I will keep reading the posts here and learning.
Thanks for the input.

ronparent
October 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I've done the same thing with a usb key in the past and used the key with my other computer. The success of the outcome is largely dependent on the similarities between the two computers.

electroken
October 24th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Is there any program I can use to make the copy? Or do I have to learn enough of the command line to make the copy?
I was looking and hoping to see if maybe there might be an application within Ubuntu to do this very thing.

sikander3786
October 24th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Remastersys as already suggested in above post. Did you already had a look on it?

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/remastersys

Or Clonezilla.

http://clonezilla.org

ronparent
October 24th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Or <ctrl>c <ctrl>v of the partition in gparted.