PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login screen theme

shashanksingh
October 24th, 2010, 05:37 AM
How can I install a new theme in 10.10 login screen??
I tried the login-window preferences but it doesn't have all the required options such as that of installing a new theme...

stinkeye
October 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM
How can I install a new theme in 10.10 login screen??
I tried the login-window preferences but it doesn't have all the required options such as that of installing a new theme...

Open the terminal and run

sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow
Then logout, and you’ll see an Appearance window pop up. Change it to how you prefer it, then close it and login as usual.

When you have logged in after finishing the customizing, run this command to prevent the Appearance window from opening at the GDM screen every time.

sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

Boondoklife
October 24th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I LOVE YOU, could not remember for the life of me how this worked. thanks!

stinkeye
October 24th, 2010, 03:09 PM
. :oops:

exploder
October 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM
stinkeye, thanks for posting the commands for the gdm theme. This seems to have fixed an issue I was having with plymouth not always displaying on shut down and reboot. I switched the theme to the same theme the desktop was using and the problem appears to be solved so far. Thanks!

Edit: I spoke too soon, the plymouth problem persists. Oh well, the gdm looks cool now.

Ptero-4
November 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM
The problem with plymouth not appearing at shutdown is because it was compiled without gdm support.

kaykelkar
November 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
@ stinkeye

Thanks for the info, but i suppose that guy was referring to those old login themes which we could change. the solution that you gave is more related to desktop theme....!!

Pls let us know if we can change the login themes...

stinkeye
November 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM
@ stinkeye

Thanks for the info, but i suppose that guy was referring to those old login themes which we could change. the solution that you gave is more related to desktop theme....!!

Pls let us know if we can change the login themes...

That is for changing the login theme.
I don't think you can completely change the look like before.

michael_teter
January 13th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Open the terminal and run

sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow
Then logout, and you’ll see an Appearance window pop up. Change it to how you prefer it, then close it and login as usual.

When you have logged in after finishing the customizing, run this command to prevent the Appearance window from opening at the GDM screen every time.

sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

This didn't help me. It merely opens the normal Preferences->Appearance tool; it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the GDM/login screen.

And for whatever reason, the 10.10 version of the Administration->Login Screen app is stripped down from what it apparently used to be (where you could control look and feel).

So, what is the 10.10 procedure for installing themes or otherwise changing the appearance of the login screen?

Caver Chris
February 15th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Worked for me, I followed the instructions from Stinkeye as posted. I was able to change the background on the login screen to something other than the standard and that what I wanted to do. :D

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 BTW.

redbikemaster
August 1st, 2011, 06:52 AM
Can you change the login window though?

The attached photo is want I want my login screen to look like, text box, buttons and all.