PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

shnbwmn
October 23rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
Recently I wanted to install Ubuntu 10.04 from a CD which I had sent to me, but which I never actually used. So I put the CD in my laptop, used Wubi to install Lucid Lynx next to Windows in dual-boot, and restarted the laptop.

Everything was OK. I noticed that the Update Manager didn't come up yet. I glanced at the notification area, and I wasn't connected to the Internet. So I entered wireless connection password and so Internet was back.

I then opened Update Manager, changed release options to "Normal Releases" and was told of upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10. So I pressed the button, successfully updated and restarted.

BUT, when Ubuntu tried to reboot, it gave a whole list of errors, and proceeded to shut down.

Any help here?? Right now I'm manually downloading 10.10 64-bit, and Wubi. And I uninstalled previous installation. If this works, then great.

But I still want to know, just out of interest, why the hell did it do that? Is there issues with the upgrade? Was there errors in my Ubuntu installation?

Any comments would be appreciated :)

drs305
October 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
There have been problems with Wubi upgrades from 10.04 to 10.10 and also fresh Wubi installs of Maverick 10.10.

The first paragraph of this link discusses ways to recover a bad installation:
Grub 2 Basics (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275)