PDA

View Full Version : what comes in the box for processors?

Dustin2128
October 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm getting ready to order my first batch of components to build my computer (doing it incrementally- building an epic system a hundred bucks at a time), and I wanted to know this: when you order a processor, does it come with a heatsink/fan? If not, could someone recommend a good one for an athlon II X4 640 Socket AM3 quad core? Or a phenom II, still undecided...

mainerror
October 23rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
I'm getting ready to order my first batch of components to build my computer (doing it incrementally- a hundred bucks at a time), and I wanted to know this: when you order a processor, does it come with a heatsink/fan? If not, could someone recommend a good one for an athlon II X4 640 Socket AM3 quad core? Or a phenom II, still undecided...

Depends. If you order a boxed version then it comes with a cooler (i.e. active element and passive element). If you order a tray version then only the CPU is in the box.

Dustin2128
October 23rd, 2010, 11:08 PM
here's the one I'm looking at:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871

clonne4crw
October 23rd, 2010, 11:59 PM
Last proc I ordered came with a booklet, the CPU itself (was a Core 2 Duo E8400), a cooler, lots of plastic packaging, and an Intel Inside sticker.

Dustin2128
October 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
After reading some reviews, looks like it comes with a fan. But it looks like its insufficient for the overclocking I'll be doing, ideas? Thinking of overclocking from 3Ghz to 3.2, perhaps 3.5 if I get a good cooling system, probably water cooled.

EDIT: I'm starting my second computer building thread, mods please merge once its up.

Ahava591
October 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM
At Newegg, you should be able to view what comes with the device when you go to "Details."
The Details section for this indicates it comes with an heatsink and fan.

I recommend a full-sized case with extra case fans if you can afford it; also, the specs list the Athlon II X4 640 as having a TDP of 95W. I'm sure you're aware of what the requirements are for the computer you're building, but just remember to get a power supply with energy to spare in case you want to upgrade parts later on.

As for cooling for the CPU, the stock heatsink and fan might well be sufficient to the 3.2GHz.
I live in a hot desert climate and run my Phenom II X2 550 with stock heat sink and fan with two extra case fans. No matter what I have been doing, I have never noticed the temp go above 82-83 Fahrenheit and it's running a faster clock speed than the stock Athlon II 640.

It should be noted that I have a dual-core, though. Activating the "extra," two cores has proved stable and admittedly jumped the heat to around 90 Fahrenheit. I only ran the activated die for a week or so, though.

Good luck!

gradinaruvasile
October 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM
The "box" versions of all CPUs have fan+heatsink included (the "tray" versions may cost less but its only the CPU).
I myself recently got a Athlon II 250 and came with heatsink+fan.

If you got the cash, id suggest Phenom II (black edition if you plan oc'ing)- it has level 3 cache and it is faster than the Athon IIs. The number of cores is up to you - depends what you plan to use it for - quad should be suffice (because there are 6 core variants too).
Also make sure you have the processor supported by the mobo and flash the BIOS to a newer version if needed.

themarker0
October 24th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Most with a cooler, and sticker. :)

Some without the cooler, you can get betters one for 20-30 dollars.

Dustin2128
October 24th, 2010, 01:17 AM
it's kinda strange, I almost always use Fahrenheit for referring to outside temperature (though I made the personal goal to swap to SI) but I'm so used to conky giving me my cpu temp in Celsius I'm not sure what it's supposed to be in Fahrenheit. Also, main thread's up.