PDA

View Full Version : Linux distro or Ubuntu derivate which DO NOT use CUPS?

alexan
October 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Does exist such thing? A distro linux (or Ubuntu derivate) that use other way of printing?

Looks like in linux there are fork of nearly everything.. but when come to talk about printing; only apple choose what Linux can or can't do.

perspectoff
October 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, well it took years for CUPS to become (barely) usable.

It is unlikely that something else would have evolved faster and better. unfortunately, I have to agree that printing is a weakness of Linux, currently, at least for speed. I can print to all my printers, but OMG the rendering is slow.

FuturePilot
October 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Does exist such thing? A distro linux (or Ubuntu derivate) that use other way of printing?
Good luck with that.

Looks like in linux there are fork of nearly everything.. but when come to talk about printing; only apple choose what Linux can or can't do.
Uhhh no. Don't like something? Here's the source code. http://www.cups.org/software.php Not sure where you're getting the idea that Apple has complete control over CUPS.

toupeiro
October 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
lpr/lpd, .. but why?

Clearly, there is a choice. lpr/lpd has been around a lot longer than CUPS. However distro's CHOOSE cups as a default, and for good reason.

NightwishFan
October 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
You can remove/replace cups using the package manager I believe.

kaldor
October 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have to agree that printing is a weakness of Linux, currently, at least for speed. I can print to all my printers, but OMG the rendering is slow.

Give openSUSE (latest versions) a try. It's the only distro where printing works just as well as on OS X for me. Ubuntu's a lost cause for printing even though the Brother had a Tux logo on it. Too damn slow and poor quality results.

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
When you figure out how to use any scanner in Linux, let me know.

MechaMechanism
October 24th, 2010, 01:08 AM
buy a PostScript printer that has real hardware in it. It's what I did. It lets cups offload the printing to the printer. Speed is much faster. There not too expensive too. Most are laser printers though.

kaldor
October 24th, 2010, 01:11 AM

Part of the reason I use OS X ;)

RandomJoe
October 24th, 2010, 03:47 AM

Do you really mean *any* scanner, or just the scanner built in to a multifunction printer?

Never had a multifunction so can't say with those, but I have two scanners here (old HP ScanJet model, Canon CanoScan LIDE35) that work perfectly well without any effort - and have done so for several years now. Just plug in and go. I use XSane to save docs to files.

toupeiro
October 24th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Maybe I've been lucky, but of all the all-in-ones I've ever had, the scanning has always worked in linux without a single hitch.

BigCityCat
October 24th, 2010, 04:56 AM

My scanner used to not work but since they introduced the simple scan I have been able to scan without setting anything up. Cannon pixma mx310 all in one.

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM
My scanner used to not work but since they introduced the simple scan I have been able to scan without setting anything up. Cannon pixma mx310 all in one.

I guess things must be better now than they used to be. That's good news.

I doubt if Lexmarks work, though, do they?

handy
October 25th, 2010, 08:17 AM

I doubt if Lexmark's work, though, do they?

That's a good question?

Lexmark hardware was always the manifestation of a wrathful deity arising from the very depths of Linux hardware hell...

ssam
October 25th, 2010, 09:00 AM
check this before choosing a printer.
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro

forrestcupp
October 25th, 2010, 05:44 PM
check this before choosing a printer.
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro

That's definitely wisdom for Linux users who want to buy hardware. If you don't do your homework, then your troubles are your own fault, and you deserve them.

The problem is for people who already have printers, then install Linux. They may not be able to afford going out and buying all new hardware.

MechaMechanism
October 26th, 2010, 02:02 AM
That's definitely wisdom for Linux users who want to buy hardware. If you don't do your homework, then your troubles are your own fault, and you deserve them.

The problem is for people who already have printers, then install Linux. They may not be able to afford going out and buying all new hardware.
Ugh. Don't get me started on Kodak printer support in Linux. I was going to switch my mom to Linux at one point but the Kodak printer didn't work and all research pointed to it never working. So after doing the leg work, ma's got to stay with XP, because she don't want to buy a new printer and I don't blame her as it's a perfectly fine printer in XP..

DeadSuperHero
October 26th, 2010, 03:04 AM

SimpleScan! :D

(Yes, I know you meant from a hardware standpoint...but for the scanners that DO work, it's a really nice tool.)

JDShu
October 26th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Money is money, but it should be noted that the amount spent on a printer is small compared to the amount you have to spend on ink.