PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst 10.10

sandyd
October 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Is out.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&lang=English

Hopefully this fixes the random lagging problems.....

Oxwivi
October 23rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, with Ubuntu 10.10, coincidence?

Cam!
October 23rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
I can't install this! I get this error message whenever I run it:

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

I set the encoding to UTF-8, and I still get the same error.

alexandari
October 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
I feel like a boss with this GUI installer

sandyd
October 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I can't install this! I get this error message whenever I run it:

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

I set the encoding to UTF-8, and I still get the same error.

your supposed to run it in the terminal
i,e,

chmod 777 ati*run
sudo ./ati*run

Cam!
October 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I'm an immense noob at chmod and the terminal. I have the file in my downloads folder. What do I type? :P

alexandari
October 23rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
This driver is absolute ****.

Cam!
October 23rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Still, it's better than what I have now. How do I CHMOD to my Downloads folder in the terminal?

sandyd
October 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
This driver is absolute ****.

^^
It stopped the window lagging though, although there IS still a lot of performance problems.

sandyd
October 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Still, it's better than what I have now. How do I CHMOD to my Downloads folder in the terminal?

switch to a VT (alt+f1)

sudo killall kdm
sudo killall gdm
sudo killall X
cd Downloads
chmod 777 ati*run
./ati*run

Cam!
October 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
After I install it, what do I do? It installs an extra ATI Catalyst in addition to the one when I enabled my previous driver by default. Do I disable the driver and re-enable it?

doorknob60
October 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Wow, with Ubuntu 10.10, coincidence?
They use a similar version numbering system to Ubuntu :P First number is the year, second number is the number of the release of the driver in that year (this is the 10th driver this year. They try to release one once every month, so the second number usually matches the month too).

alexandari
October 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
I am having huge problems now after I installed it,and I cant revert back to the default driver...

bgilbert
October 23rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Could any of you guys elaborate on your experience with this driver installed? I've got an hd 5730 in my laptop and am experiencing a fair amount of screen tearing and lag with the default driver shipped with Ubuntu 10.10.

I'm trying to evaluate the risk of installing this driver, as I'm a bit nervous about installing it after some of these posts.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

sandyd
October 23rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
I am having huge problems now after I installed it,and I cant revert back to the default driver...

sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh # (if it exists)
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install fglrx-modaliases

Dustin2128
October 23rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
here's a 25$ solution for PCIe users:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187108
here's a 40$ higher end solution:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134112
here's a 40$ solution for those of you still clinging to your agp cards and steam powered desktop fans:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133328

I had an ATI/AMD card and trust me, nvidia's worth it.

bgilbert
October 24th, 2010, 03:39 AM
FYI, for anyone interested. I updated my drivers to the ATI release of catalyst 10.10 and have seen significant improvements with no regressions after the update.

I installed these updates by using the following command:

chmod +x ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run
./ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg

This creates three different deb's which I each installed using the software center. Again, I've had no issues thus far, only improvements...and I figure at worst I can revert these updated packages back to the defaults with 10.10 using synaptic if needed.

Hope this helps somebody.

alexandari
October 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh # (if it exists)
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install fglrx-modaliases

thanks a lot dude :) thing is,I did those things and still it wasnt alright...but I got it fixed,long and kinda random story...yes it involves the commands on the top xD

sandyd
October 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
note: don't enable vsync if your using VLC.
enabling it causes heavy lag in video ](*,)](*,)

and for some reason, its only in vlc.
nvm.
after some tweaks to xorg.conf, its working nicely

wirespot
October 24th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Can you post your xorg.org please? It might help others too. I'm particularly loath to "tweak" it. :(

wirespot
October 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Finally, got to try this driver. I think it's this one, I installed from Ubuntu's "Hardware Drivers", it has version 8.783 which is the same as the driver downloaded from AMD.

Indeed, the vsync issues are mostly fixed. No longer get any major tearing of the desktop like before. Flash, movies, Compiz, games all seem to work fine.

There are some minor issues still there though, you get corrupted bits of screen here and there, especially in scrolling text areas in Firefox (happens as I write this), the cursor and letters get momentarily warped as I type, especially in gnome-terminal and so on. But it's bearable, nothing like before when I'd get "runny" slices all over the place.

Here's hoping AMD keeps up the good work. The performance is still not up to par, for instance. The Radeon HD3200 I'm trying is supposed to be on par or better than the NVidia 7600GS but this latest Catalyst gets only 1750 FPS in glxgears whereas the 7600 gets 2800 FPS with the NVidia binary drivers. Not to sound ungrateful but performance is a big thing, we want to use ATI cards for gaming and such, if it was only for Compiz we'd get by with much older or weaker stuff.

blueturtl
October 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
You may wish to use something other than glxgears as a benchmark. Just saying.

sandyd
October 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Finally, got to try this driver. I think it's this one, I installed from Ubuntu's "Hardware Drivers", it has version 8.783 which is the same as the driver downloaded from AMD.

Indeed, the vsync issues are mostly fixed. No longer get any major tearing of the desktop like before. Flash, movies, Compiz, games all seem to work fine.

There are some minor issues still there though, you get corrupted bits of screen here and there, especially in scrolling text areas in Firefox (happens as I write this), the cursor and letters get momentarily warped as I type, especially in gnome-terminal and so on. But it's bearable, nothing like before when I'd get "runny" slices all over the place.

Here's hoping AMD keeps up the good work. The performance is still not up to par, for instance. The Radeon HD3200 I'm trying is supposed to be on par or better than the NVidia 7600GS but this latest Catalyst gets only 1750 FPS in glxgears whereas the 7600 gets 2800 FPS with the NVidia binary drivers. Not to sound ungrateful but performance is a big thing, we want to use ATI cards for gaming and such, if it was only for Compiz we'd get by with much older or weaker stuff.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772664
I can get 2000 fps on a mobility 3650 with all the kwin effects on (i.e transparency, cube). but not blur, obviously.

bgilbert
October 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks a lot SandyD....this brought huge improvements with my HD 5730 as well!

juancarlospaco
October 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM
The Perl web framework or the Cisco switches ...?
:D