PDA

View Full Version : Having a real nightmare: Installation frustrated at every attempt.

danceswithcats
October 23rd, 2010, 11:22 AM
I've tried downloading an iso for a fresh install (Penlinux, or whatever it's called wouldn't recognize the flash and when I tried to make it on the usb creator, the computer said the drive wasn't bootable). So, I thought I'd upgrade and then do a fresh install, which went well until the panel comes up saying how many packages are to be uninstalled and how many installed and how much space it will take. I've hit the problem I've had with UNR on a 10" screen several times (rythmbox is a culprit), that the button lies below the bottom of the screen and the window can't be resized to make it visible. I have tried hitting enter (no response), hitting tab, then enter (installer aborted) and hitting it with a hammer (not really).

I'm in the embarrassing position of having my 'Microsoft certificated' boss raving about 10:10 and swearing he'll never go back to Windows, while I'm stuck on the incomplete and awkward 10:04 netbook remix, drooling about the joys of Unity, but unable to get it.

Any ideas? I wasted a lot of last weekend on it and I'd really like to get back to using the computer as a tool for next weekend.

By the way, I'm a long-term Ubuntu user but not a techy, so I do often overlook things that are obvious to more savvy people. If that is the case, forgive my rant.

kerry_s
October 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
press alt & hold left click on the mouse to move windows around.

10.10 unity is crap, your better off with the desktop install & then tweaking it for the netbook.

danceswithcats
October 24th, 2010, 09:27 AM
That did it; I can't believe I didn't remember that.

I can see what you mean about it. I like the launcher down the side but the navigation for applications or files and folders takes forever. I'm going to try a fresh install of the desktop edition. Is there a thread on adapting it to small screened computers?

kerry_s
October 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I like the launcher down the side

you can get that look with dockbarx.

Is there a thread on adapting it to small screened computers?

i don't think theres a specific thread, you can start 1. :)

i use a awn dock, maximus to maximize windows.