PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Hmmm...Compiz keeps Dying in 10.10?

SantaFe
October 23rd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Just noticed this, as I hardly ever used the special effects of Compiz before, but for some strange reason Compiz keeps resetting itself to none after being turned on via the Visual Effects tab in appearances. I click on any of the other radio buttons, the screen changes with Compiz on, asks me if I want to keep this setting I say yes and around 5 or 6 minutes later screen blinks & it's set back to none. I even made sure I had composting_manager turned on in Gconf.

The video card I have, an ATI radeon X300 worked before in 10.04 with Compiz, but now it doesn't.

Would reinstalling compiz make it work again? Using Synaptic, I've already went thru & completely removed everything I found related to Compiz, and my O/S still works fine even after several reboots, just without Compiz, would going back & marking it all back for installation fix this, or just leave it alone since everything else does work.

aries458
November 10th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I am having the same problem with 10.10. Had to do a reinstall after lucid became corrupt from a system update. I have a radeon 2600 card. Other apps that need compiz to work all work fine so far, but compiz itself keeps resetting to the default setup.

SantaFe
November 10th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Mines an ATI Radeon x300, never could get Compiz to work even after reinstalling it. Pretty funny thing to complain about anyway since I never use it much at all anyway, just wondered why it quit. :)

SantaFe
November 13th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Well as Obi-Wan would say, I did solve this problem from a certain point of view... I just added KDE4 via synaptic Package Manager & removed GNOME. I still get most all of the effects like Desktop cube and such, and it stays activated. :) Boy KDE4 has changed a lot since I last tried it, it's pretty speedy now. :)

:popcorn: for everyone!