PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a member of IEEE Computer Society?

samalex
October 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
I got a thing at work today asking me to join the IEEE Computer Society - computer.org - for $99/year with perks like access to Safari Books Online, lots of online courses, a magazine subscription, oh and a free mug :)

Has anyone ever been a member of this? The Safari Book service is worth it alone if it's not a watered down version of it.

Just curious --

Sam

era86
October 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
I was a member back in school. It has some interesting topics in its newsletter, but other than that it hasn't been of much use to me. If you're really into it, though, it might help you find a job through the networking you can do through other IEEE members.

toupeiro
October 23rd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Since 2007.

My most valuable use of it is the Xplore membership and the publications are top notch, and very detailed and far-reaching.

samalex
October 25th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Nice... Thanks for the info. I'm a part time student so I might try to get in at the $40/year student membership level.

toupeiro, you said you're still a member, so how good is the Safari Books part? They say you can browse like 600 books, but I think Safari has many more books than that. So what is included/excluded? Just curious.

Take care --

Sam