PDA

View Full Version : One-to-one support

Oxwivi
October 22nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
When opting for one-to-one support for an issue, there might be time differences which might cause inconvenience to the one giving support. So rather than asking for their country of residence, ask for the UTC (GMT) time of their region, then click on the clock on the panel and then location. I discovered it shows where the sun is up with shaded and brightened areas, so with a vague idea of the UTC time, you can figure out when to lay off pestering them.

Some of yo might be opposed to the very idea of one-to one support, but the more people trying to help on the same problem, the more of a mess it becomes.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 22nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
I don't understand what you're talking about. If it's their job to do support then it doesn't matter, and if it's not their job, then if they don't want to help you they won't.

cariboo
October 22nd, 2010, 10:56 PM
When opting for one-to-one support for an issue, there might be time differences which might cause inconvenience to the one giving support. So rather than asking for their country of residence, ask for the UTC (GMT) time of their region, then click on the clock on the panel and then location. I discovered it shows where the sun is up with shaded and brightened areas, so with a vague idea of the UTC time, you can figure out when to lay off pestering them.

Some of yo might be opposed to the very idea of one-to one support, but the more people trying to help on the same problem, the more of a mess it becomes.

We discourage one-to-one support on the forums, as that way only the person involved can benefit. We prefer questions be answered in threads, so that everyone can benefit.

This is after all only an operating system, there is nothing that urgent about it.

loell
October 22nd, 2010, 11:09 PM
besides, there is an existing one. ;)

http://www.canonical.com/enterprise-services/ubuntu-advantage/support

oldsoundguy
October 22nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
I ignore requests for one on one .. first, too much crap to go through. second, my solution may not be the ONLY one nor the easiest one (many minds come up with much better ideas most of the time.) AND FINALLY, someone else may be having the same issue/problem but just does not know how to ask or is afraid to do so, and publishing solutions on the forums benefits those lurkers!

I do that not only on this forum, but on other help forums that I frequent.

inobe
October 22nd, 2010, 11:24 PM
there are rare assurances, i did a "one to one" once, me and the op posted the fix, at the time i wasn't aware that it was discouraged and still "out of kindness" ended the topic marked as solved with a fix.

never start a topic leaving it in shambles.

as for many responses, this can get confusing and cause more harm then good, i would suggest not acting on the first remedies, instead reviewing the information and searching the forum to verify that they actually work.

NightwishFan
October 22nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
I help a few people one on one if they ask I discourage it as well though for the reasons above. Some situations can be better served on a temporary irc. (One guy I helped using VNC).