PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation 10.10 "Who are you?" page issue. Can't press forward after putting info.

facedark
October 22nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Well as the title says, when I've filled out the "Who are you?" page, I can't press forward. What is the problem? Theres green checkpoints for all the boxes and my password is Very good.
Sorry if the main names aren't correctly translated, I'm installing with swedish as language.

I appriciate any tips!

Rubi1200
October 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

The user name cannot start with an uppercase character.

For example:

Your name: John Smith

User name: john (if you use John it will not work)

Password: whatever you decide
Password: as above

Hope this makes sense

facedark
October 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Thank you very much! It worked perfectly when I changed the username HTPC to htpc! :):guitar:

Rubi1200
October 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
You are more than welcome :)

Please mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.

And I hope you enjoy all your Ubuntu experiences!

Cousken
December 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hope this makes sense

Thank you very much , i had the same issue.

As to the quoted line, it totaly doesn't make sense. There are no warnings about it nor do i see i reason why a user can't be allowed a name with a campital letter at the start. Curious as how this is motivated.

Of course i'm no Ubuntu or OS expert :) So please don't take this post as an angry rant ^^ I would very much like to hear an explanation to why this is like this.

Rubi1200
December 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Thank you very much , i had the same issue.

As to the quoted line, it totaly doesn't make sense. There are no warnings about it nor do i see i reason why a user can't be allowed a name with a campital letter at the start. Curious as how this is motivated.

Of course i'm no Ubuntu or OS expert :) So please don't take this post as an angry rant ^^ I would very much like to hear an explanation to why this is like this.
I cannot tell you why the developers did that.

What I do know is that quite a number of people have had this "issue" and it has apparently been changed for the next version of Ubuntu due in April of next year.

In other words, there will be a warning message next time.

I hope this makes sense now ;)