PDA

View Full Version : Love the title "Apple Genius"... ironic :P

youbuntu
October 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
I was just thinking about the Apple "Genius" guys & girls @ their stores, and how very inaccurate and ironic a title that is. Firstly, Stephen Hawking & Einstein are (and was) geniuses, not some dude in a blue tee shirt, who can backup your hdd, and advise you how to repair permissions (probably using Disk Utility - n000b!).

I have nothing at all against the nice people who work for Apple, NOR am I "anti Apple" for any reason; I am sitting here on a 2009 MacBook (Maverick :)) but I find it crazy that you'd call what amounts to a technical advisor, a "genius". I once asked one of them about something trivial in terminal, and he replied "Oh, that's a little beyond our level of knowledge"...

:D LMAO!

A lot of my friends call me a genius, just because I can do a little toe-dipping in basic code, and can control most of my computer with bash. I think the term is relative, to my friends, as they obviously imagine me to be some kind of guy with computer super powers... LOL! Far from it, and I often question how much I know.

Genius I ain't.

pwnst*r
October 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Let the bandwagon begin...

youbuntu
October 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Let the bandwagon begin...?...

whiskeylover
October 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Everything about Apple is extraordinary. Their technicians and salesmen are geniuses, they computers are better than PCs and never get viruses, their products are technological innovations and nothing short of miracles and Steve Jobs is God.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Once, I went to an Apple Store and they helped me set up a colony on the moon Deimos, of Mars. It came complete with orbital laser cannons and self-replicating fry cook robots.

mehaga
October 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPu8PKHBhWk

Bazinga!

Canis familiaris
October 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Ironic or not, if it is working in terms of desired interest/reaction from customers, then it's a good idea.

youbuntu
October 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Everything about Apple is extraordinary. Their technicians and salesmen are geniuses, they computers are better than PCs and never get viruses, their products are technological innovations and nothing short of miracles and Steve Jobs is God.

:D

They wish ;)

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPu8PKHBhWk

Bazinga!
Excellent.

pwnst*r
October 22nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
?...

Really? Check the thread again.

Spr0k3t
October 22nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Seriously though, you should stop by one of the new Apple Friend Bar... it's very interesting to say the least.

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-apple-friend-bar-gives-customers-someone-to-ta,17693/

Oxwivi
October 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Apple Bar? So now they're paying people to for an alternative to IRC and stuff? I'd like to get a job though I've never touched an apple for more than a couple of minutes...

Grenage
October 22nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Apple Bar? So now they're paying people to for an alternative to IRC and stuff? I'd like to get a job though I've never touched an apple for more than a couple of minutes...

It's a spoof. ^^

juancarlospaco
October 22nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
So Apple buys Genius ?

mkendall
October 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I think the term is relative, to my friends, as they obviously imagine me to be some kind of guy with computer super powers... LOL!

And so it is with the Apple Geniuses. Compared to the BestBuy Geek Squad, or Nerd Herd, or whatever they're called, they may well be "geniuses."

Or maybe it's irony.

Cuddles McKitten
October 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Louis CK pointed out in a recent special of his that the default state of speech now is hyperbole. Everything is "amazing," "awesome," "hilarious," etc.

His genius example:
1: "Dude, I brought extra cups in case we need more cups."
2: "You're a genius!"

inobe
October 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
they can be a genius at least till the next release when it's time to go back to "school"

but then again a genius is actually someone that has all the answers without personal experience and unusual mental abilities, i see neither in these apple stores, maybe one must be a genius to see a genius or the other way around, in all sense one isn't a genius when the others mental capacity exceeds another's :P

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
From the Code of Conduct..

"Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them."

if it continues in the Cafe there will be infractions handed out .... final warning.

This thread is closed