PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UBUNTU 10.10 Fails to install

RickHatalski
October 22nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
I am a newbe to UBUNTU trying to install for the first time: Downloaded ver 10.10 from the web site for my Toshiba A135 Laptop Intel Celron m cpu 520@1.60 Ghz
32 bit Vista Operiting System with 1.6 g Ram and 73GB Hard Drive. I have tried many options and downloads after the last week. Found out I was doing a few things wrong.
My latest was to download the ubuntu notebook ver 10.10 to my desktop. I then used the USB installer to make a bootable version on my 4 GB USB Drive. As per the instructions I restarted the lap top and stoped the bios with F12 to get to the boot page of the bios. I changed the boot from my windows hard drive to go to my USB drive E: and booted my USB Drive. It starts going through all the commands on the boot sequence just fine until it gets to 4.308190 [DRM] initialzed drm 1.1 20060810 and just hangs with the light om my jump drive gong from bright to dim over and over. After a long wait I give up and press the return key. It starts up for a few more lines of commands and hangs again at line 4.753839 ata 4.00 atapi:dvd ram and again after a long wait I enter the return key .It restarts and again installs several command lines and hangs again at line 10.057082 ata2 sata link down, and again after a long wait I again enter the return key...But this time it fails to take off again and just sits there with a blinking curser and the jump drive light continues to blink bright to dim. So I have to turn the lap top off using the power switch to recover. Does anyone know by the information I stated what the installer was trying to do at the various stop/ failure points? I am not savey enough with linux and can't figure out what the codes on the
installer are trying to indicate when the line items hang during the install.

I also wonder if previous failed install attempts have bad software left over om my computer. For instance in my windows vista start up it asks if I want to start up windows or ubuntu? Left over when I was trying to boot from a cd disk instead of the USB jump drive. Don't know how to remove it from my start up file.
Thanks in advance for reading my long post.
Rick Hatalski