PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install ubuntu 10.10 (not upgrade)

ozonora
October 22nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hi, I've got Ubuntu 10.04 installed, and I would like to install 10.10, without upgrading, this is, a new installation.

How can I do that? Do I have to install as if I hadn't the previous version installed? And I select the same partition? Or I format the partitions?

Thanks!

Rubi1200
October 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

If you want to do a clean install of 10.10, put the CD in and choose to install. Then, pick the option to erase and use the entire disk. This will format and install Ubuntu using the defaults.

But, I have a question: why do you want to do this? Ubuntu 10.04 is an LTS (Long Term Support) release and is now fairly stable. Look around the forums and you will see quite a few posts from people having difficulties with 10.10.

My advice is to wait a couple of months until the initial problems have been ironed out and then consider a fresh install or stay with 10.04.

At the end of the day, it is your choice though.

Good luck whatever you decide.

ozonora
October 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
What are those problems with Ubuntu 10.10? Never heard about it!
Isn't Ubuntu's last version supposed to be the best version ever?

Rubi1200
October 24th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Read the release notes:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes

I am not saying that these will affect you, but any new release has its teething problems.

I suggest you try the LiveCD first, and if all goes well, then install.

It is your choice; I just like to err on the side of caution before jumping into installing a new release.

ozonora
October 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM
And if I want to "reset" my current Ubuntu installation? I have "touched" some things, and I would like to have the OS as the first day. Is it possible without reinstalling? Thanks!

Rubi1200
October 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM
And if I want to "reset" my current Ubuntu installation? I have "touched" some things, and I would like to have the OS as the first day. Is it possible without reinstalling? Thanks!
There is no reset or restore function. And you should always be making backups anyway.

Can you please be a lot more specific about what you
touched

Are we talking about file permissions, programs you installed or uninstalled etc.?

TBABill
October 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM
If you want a day 1 install to revert back to you may need to do an install, get the system setup the way you like it as a fresh install (if you have to add drivers just to get it going) and then try something like Clonezilla. Then if you bork it badly at least you have your config to go back to.

Clodzilla
October 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Ozonora,
Just look at my issue with not getting the GUI to come up when I boot.

startx does not work and I get a black screen when I type this in.