PDA

View Full Version : I don't minimise on GNOME because I find those [square brackets in italics] ugly!

Oxwivi
October 22nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
That's the long and short of it. :O

AoSteve
October 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
LOL! I agree with you there. There has to be a way to remove those.. hmm... That's an idea.

Oxwivi
October 22nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I bet something could be done with the configuration editor, but dunno nothing about it.

AoSteve
October 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I'm more of a hardware guy myself.. But after this install I'm definitely gonna get more into researching it.

Remember.... Linux... ubuntu.... debian is MADE to be tinkered with. If I played with any version of ******* as much as I do Ubuntu.. I'm sure MS would charge me extra for how bad I treat their OS. lol

julio_cortez
October 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
[Why] [do] [you] [find] [these] [brackets] [ugly] [?]

Well, they don't look really good indeed. But it's been some time I haven't seen one. I'm using Gnome Elementary + Cairo Dock atm and it looks wonderfully good!! :)

AoSteve
October 22nd, 2010, 07:43 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LittleDetails Use the find feature of your browser to search for "brackets"... I'm gonna tinker.. If I break gnome again and you don't here from me within 15 minutes.. I'll boot my lxde/debian install... LOL

AoSteve
October 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM

Well, they don't look really good indeed. But it's been some time I haven't seen one. I'm using Gnome Elementary + Cairo Dock atm and it looks wonderfully good!! :)

Hey; can I get a screenshot of that? I'd like to see what you got there. Maybe something new for me to tinker with next!

Rasa1111
October 22nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
i am confused.

minimize? brackets/italics?

say what?

Oxwivi
October 22nd, 2010, 07:48 AM

Dunno it just doesn't look good. Why bother adding the brackets anyway?

Oxwivi
October 22nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
i am confused.

minimize? brackets/italics?

say what?
Rasa my man, it's not a docky thing, it's a panel thing. Do a fresh install and minimise a window.

kerry_s
October 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
:lolflag: i agree with julio_cortez, try a dock.

i use awn on mine.

Elfy
October 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
minimise something in gnome and the item in the window list on the panel gets [ ] around it - personally I use my PC and don't actually spend time staring at the taskbar getting worked up about something like this - but it is about choice I guess :)

AoSteve
October 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
It has to be something causing these brackets... grrr.... A setting somewhere checked that needs unchecked... a setting that can be set to false... something!

Rasa1111
October 22nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
minimise something in gnome and the item in the window list on the taskbar gets [ ] around it - personally I use my PC and don't actually spend time staring at the taskbar getting worked up about something like this - but it is about choice I guess :)

ahh gotcha.

Yeah I use AWN, so i dont see those things.
Though i must admit, I never even noticed it enough to bother me before I used a dock.:lol:

So , Now i see why you inquired on the AWN dock Oxwivi. ;)

a setting that can be set to false... something!

that 'something' would be AWN! lol :P ;)

Oxwivi
October 22nd, 2010, 08:28 AM
Well that's not the entire reason. The usual panel just look too plain. :P

Rasa1111
October 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
lol, I agree.

santaslittlehelper
October 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Which brackets? :)
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=173132&stc=1&d=1287744969
If you want ugly sprinkled with annoying just leave this one unchecked...heh
/apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources

A_T
October 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
Square brackets rule :-D

CarpKing
October 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking about the shrinking boxes that represent minimizing windows in Metacity. I guess I've been using AWN long enough that I didn't even know about the [minimized window issue]. I guess the same could probably be said of most Ubuntu users and Compiz with regards to the shrinking boxes.

Oxwivi
October 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Which brackets? :)
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=173132&stc=1&d=1287744969
If you want ugly sprinkled with annoying just leave this one unchecked...heh
/apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources
Ooh, thanks, but I just started to get comfortable with AWN, though icons on the docks could be much better...

AoSteve
October 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
I've used awn for ages.. since Jaunty I believe... I'm not all into running a single dock at over 200mb extra worth of ram used.. I only have 4GB and I need at least 3 of that for my Vboxs.... LOL

I can't find it anywhere though.. I imagine it's pretty much coded into the gnome panels... Still a few configs I can check though...

nlsthzn
October 22nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I never even noticed that before (and had no idea what brackets until I saw the screenshot showing it)...

Still don't really notice it to be honest :)

PhilGil
October 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
I wonder if it's theme-dependent? On my machine (Debian Squeeze, Gnome 2.30.2, Shiki Brave theme) the brackets only appear around folder names, not application names.

To the OP - have you thought about DockbarX? It replaces the window switcher applet on the Gnome dock. I've been liking it, seems pretty stable and low on resources.

Oxwivi
October 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
DockbarX looks like Mac docks x Windows 7's taskbar...

Well, I'm pretty much happy with how Avant with Lucido style, maybe I'll give it a try some eons later...

juancarlospaco
October 23rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
There are users programmed like:

if non-Qt4.x():
App == ugly

:D

Oxwivi
October 23rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Nah, I didn't like the looks of 10.04 Kubuntu, but I've read good reaction to 10.10, but I've yet to see it.

Tibuda
October 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
I don't minimise on Gnome because workspaces are useful.

NightwishFan
October 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
They never bothered me. Bring on the brackets! :D

Oxwivi
October 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
I don't minimise on Gnome because workspaces are useful.
I don't minimise AND use workspaces. :P Really though stacking same programs into one in Windows was really useful. It really crowds the space in the panel at Linux.

PhilGil
October 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Really though stacking same programs into one in Windows was really useful. It really crowds the space in the panel at Linux.
You can set the Gnome panel to do that, too. It's in the window list applet preferences. Same settings as Win XP -- never group, always group, group only when space is limited.

Oxwivi
October 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Wow, I never noticed... I'm ashamed I didn't find out even though I poke around all the time...

FuturePilot
October 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Doesn't bother me at all.

PhilGil
October 23rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm ashamed I didn't find out even though I poke around all the time...
Don't be; we're all here to learn from each other.

Oxwivi
October 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Ah, it's just a personal thing - I'm adept at learning to use a program all by myself by poking around. And what I learned about Ubuntu is by trying to analyze doing what in an instruction does what like commands, so...