PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install 32 bit OS without CD drive (broken) and without USB install (BIOS-Impossible)

K_REY_C
October 22nd, 2010, 03:36 AM
My wife has a 6 year old HP Pavillion dv5000 laptop computer. About a year ago I installed Linux Mint 8 on it and things ran perfectly. She wants to go Ubuntu now but I've got two problems:

Her CD-ROM drive is really "iffy" and I haven't been able to get it to boot from the CD.
The BIOS doesn't allow booting from a USB.

So I'm wondering if any of you know a way that I might be able to install Ubuntu 10.10 on her laptop with those two problems. Is the LIVE CD just too big for a sketchy drive to boot from? Should I use an X-less install disc? Can I somehow install over the network? If I plug her harddrive into another computer to install the OS how can I fix the configuration later for her hardware?

Really appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks! ~KYLE

uRock
October 22nd, 2010, 03:38 AM
unetbootin ftw! It is in the repos. Install it then use it to install your favorite Linux Distro. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

K_REY_C
October 22nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
Awesome! I'd only ever used it to make USB's --- now I know the real power! I did a netinstall of 10.10 and it worked. It took a while with our connection speed but it's up and running now. Thanks a bundle!