PDA

View Full Version : Ready to take the Ubuntu plunge?

Alec Eiffel
October 22nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
First off, I apologize for making what I'm sure is yet another "Is Ubuntu right for me?" post, but everyone's situation is unique. And I hope this is the appropriate forum, this isn't really a question of tech support, so here goes.

So it's time for a new laptop. I've been a Windows user most of my life, and have some experience with OSX and Linux. However, the last time I gave Ubuntu a shot, maybe 3-4 years ago on the same Lenovo laptop that is now dying, I wasn't really ready for Linux and Linux wasn't quite ready for me. But now, with the availability of works-outta-the-box Ubuntu (System76 e.g., more on that in a sec), I'm feeling much more comfortable. It was mainly all of the minor frustrations of getting the little things to work smoothly (and some major ones like wireless networking) that caused me to give up the first time.

So where I stand now is really wanting to ditch Windows (I work with it all day in an IT job field, and I'd really love to try something new), and having to choose between Ubuntu and OSX. I absolutely love open source software, most of my favorite/most-used applications are open source, and I totally respect and admire the philosophy behind it. I'd say I'm fairly technically savvy, or at least I do enjoy using a command-line often unnecessarily :) In terms of computing usage/needs, mostly just standard web surfing/productivity/multimedia use; I don't really care about games, but I would be interested in recording/producing music, so decent multi-track recording/editing software would be great, and not having to deal with weird hardware incompatibilities with recording interfaces and such would be a plus. That's mainly where OSX and going for a MacBook would fit it, knowing that I'd feel comfortable with that, for being geared toward that type of software (or at least going by the semi-substantiated hype for Mac). That and ease-of-use/reputation/design and construction are the major selling points for a MacBook. But then I'm paying a lot more money essentially for a name I don't really care about and missing out on the customizability and overall "feel" of something I'm much more in tune with (erm, cosmically speaking...I guess)

So you can see where I stand. Oh and tiny subquestion: as you can tell, in terms of actual hardware, I'm leaning towards a laptop, a MacBook Pro probably, or a System76 Lemur, possibly, which looks so so fantastic and right up my alley. Anyone have any experience/feedback for System76? Or the Lemur in particular? Sorry this is so long-winded, please ask me to clarify points or whatever, but any feedback at all would be great! And thanks for the forum!

NightwishFan
October 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Probably about 9-10 people will show up recommending the mac. They are probably right but if I would buy a Mac, delete OSX and install Ubuntu. :popcorn:

Edit: I should clarify I would recommend the System76. Mac computers irk me.

JDShu
October 22nd, 2010, 01:06 AM
My ZaReason desktop works perfectly. I think System76 or ZaReason would be a very good choice if you're willing to pay a premium in order to not have a Windows pre-install. Not having to worry about compatibility is awesome.

Zzl1xndd
October 22nd, 2010, 01:33 AM
I'll toss in with System76

murderslastcrow
October 22nd, 2010, 02:20 AM
system76 is very good. Several people at my school use them and report no significant issues.

There are many audio editing programs for Linux that are as robust as the Mac OS X software (some musicians I know use Linux audio editors on OS X, in fact, without knowing it), but not too many of them have simple interfaces. Jokosher and Audacity may be the most simple multi-track audio editing programs, but if you need something more complicated, Rosegarden, Ardour, and LLMS might be closer to what you're looking for.

To be perfectly honest, although DELL only sells two laptops with Ubuntu included, they are very nice, and the compatibility is good. They are easy to customize to get more functionality as you order, and as system76 and zareason come with technical support and a warranty.

The big difference is that the selection from DELL is cheaper than what equivalents I see on system76, which may be due to DELL selling Windows and Ubuntu side by side. Also, if you buy from DELL you're sending a message that traditional vendors don't have to fight against Linux vendors, but they can cooperate and build further business from selling these computers.

Of course, it's all up to your perspective on whether you care to send that message or not, and if it's good to support the 'old manufacturers', but the options from DELL/system76/Zareason have high quality in my experience.

Personally, I would go for system76, as they focus on design and reliability, and of course with Zareason or system76 you'll get the Ubuntu super key rather than a windows symbol from DELL. Hope this helps.

Alec Eiffel
October 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, all. I'm glad to see the system76 support. Yeah, as someone said, there's just something about Mac computer that kinda annoys me, I don't know if it's the hype or just buying into a lot of what I don't really think I need or should be buying into (if that makes sense..). However, having held the latest gen MacBook Pro, those things feel like they're from the future...a very good future I'd like to be a part of.

But for whatever premium you're paying for system76 (or Zareason), it seems like I'd be paying even more for a Mac: the default configuration on a Lemur seems better than a standard 13" MBP and like $400 (!) cheaper. If I'm already saving that much, I wouldn't mind spending extra for system76 (and plus, ya know, supporting that kind of company over Dell, power to the people, so on and so forth :) ) So I guess, practically speaking, it comes down to what I'll feel most comfortable using, and what performs better in the areas I outlined above. It's interesting to see that about audio production software in Ubuntu, I'd love to try some of that out, that's really the best way I'll find out (30-day money back guarantee on system76, interesting..).

Somewhat-related subquestion: what seems to be the consensus on SSDs? So tempted to just fork over the extra $430 (ugh) on the Lemur (dunno if 80GB would cut it). And again, that's not even really an option with a MBP because the cost is really skyrocketing then (and it's really even almost unreasonable for me if I were to go w/ the Lemur..).

Thanks again guys!