PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help From YOU Ubuntu Community!

GrantStoner
October 21st, 2010, 10:22 PM
Ok Ubuntu community. I need your help. Recently a friend and I got into an argument about Windows/Mac vs Linux as far as web design goes. We both love designing web pages. He, however, saw I was working with Linux on my laptop during our web class and said I should switch cause I'd never get anywhere with it. I'm out to prove him wrong. He is expecting all those big Windows and/or Mac programs to build him a website. All I need is the knowledge and a good IDE (I use Geany mostly for everything on my site) or text editor. So please, help me out!

You can see what I have so far by clicking here (http://www.thehaxlab.hostcell.net)!

PLEASE POST BACK HERE WITH ANY/ALL SUGGESTIONS, HELP, AND ADVICE YOU HAVE!

Frogs Hair
October 21st, 2010, 10:30 PM
The text under categories is too dark , but I'm sure it's an easy fix.

GrantStoner
October 21st, 2010, 10:36 PM
Where it says to select a blog post category below? I'm actually going to redo that whole sidebar soon. Before I decided to post links to other pages, I was gonna have it be my blog archive. I think now I'm going have my blog archive in the first one, and links in the one right below it. But what you see there is actually an image, not text. So when I redo that sidebar, I'll adjust the images accordingly.

zer010
October 21st, 2010, 10:37 PM
Where we're putting the 'laughter' back into "manslaughter"

:lolflag:

Spice Weasel
October 21st, 2010, 10:47 PM
WYSIWYG HTML editors... Ew... Code conventions and validity anyone?

You're definitely going to prove him wrong, and it looks great so far. :)

RiceMonster
October 21st, 2010, 10:52 PM
I've seen people use NetBeans to do PHP. I've also used vim. Vim is good if you know how to use it, and you're not managing a big web page divided into a lot of scripts. I'd much rather use Dream Weaver than NetBeans as well. Note that I don't even use that drag and drop designer thing in Dreamweaver.

Also, your web page looks pretty good, but please get rid of that music.

DeadSuperHero
October 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
I think you're off to a great start. I don't know a whole lot about web development, but don't a lot of websites just use a CMS nowadays? Really, I'd imagine the real brunt of the work would be done in just editing the CSS and JavaScript components for the CMS to display. Heck, you could probably do that with Wordpress.

Don't quote me on that, though. :3

mainerror
October 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
One question. Do you have the permission to copy the design of http://www.youthedesigner.com ?

Trougedoor122
October 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
It looks pretty good so far, just find a way to fix the music, you don't have to completely get rid of it, but you should make so that the user has a very clear and easily access able way of shutting it off.

Other than that, its pretty good.

GrantStoner
October 21st, 2010, 11:16 PM
One question. Do you have the permission to copy the design of http://www.youthedesigner.com ?

No, I'm in the process of changing a lot of the original design, I just needed something inspiring to start with. I'm currently using a few javascript files from them though until I can get them to work properly on my own, which I'm having issues with ATM. It's a work in progress, but by the time I'm done, everything will have been done by me (including the images and background). Only the blog-style layout of the site will remain the same.

Oh, and as far as art/design laws go, you have to change a certain percent of the overall work and you don't have to ask for permissions. That's what I intend to do. By the end, I will be far over that percentage - I'm probably already there.

GrantStoner
October 21st, 2010, 11:45 PM
And the music is gone now. BTW people. =]

juancarlospaco
October 21st, 2010, 11:49 PM
He is expecting all those big Windows and/or Mac programs to build him a website. All I need is the knowledge and a good IDE

No. i write a web with ed and python, you can too :)

GrantStoner
October 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
On a Mac? Or on Linux? I know you can with both, but he is thinking the programs they offer are better than what someone can do on their own the old-fashion way.