PDA

View Full Version : Avant Window Navigator has come a long way since the early days

irv
October 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM
I believe it has been about two versions ago that I tried Avant Windows Navigator and I believe I quit using it because it was full of bugs. I thought I would give it another try, and I found it very solid now. Makes things look like a Mac.
I have a granddaughter who wants a Mac, so maybe I will just install Ubuntu on her PC and set it up with Avant. I applaud the developers for a find job in this application.
173081 173082

KdotJ
October 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Totally agree.
I switched to AWN from GLX-Dock when I installed Maverick. It is very good, and so much better than last time I used it. Well done AWN devs

MonolithImmortal
October 21st, 2010, 10:12 PM
Agreed, I remember using AWN a while back and it not being quite what I wanted, but I couldn't be happier with it now.

Thread hijack, but what's the icon next to the Xiphos launcher in your first screenshot? Being a student at a Bible college makes me always on the heads up for different bible study tools.

pwnst*r
October 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM
AWN is really nice now, that's for sure. Been using Docky, but AWN replaced it.

bash
October 21st, 2010, 11:07 PM
I agree as well. The current 0.4 series was really a giant step forward. Used it before but it had it's quirks, bugs and stability problems. Now it just runs smoothly, while being quite lightweight (Less than 10 MB RAM in my setup). Currently I find it the best dock available for GNOME/Ubuntu.

devondashla
October 22nd, 2010, 12:08 AM
I have a granddaughter who wants a Mac, so maybe I will just install Ubuntu on her PC and set it up with Avant.173081 173082

That is not really a replacement...that' like me saying "You want a new lamp for your desk, so i'll give you a broken flashlight." Except that's not as bad as what you said. I highly doubt she wants a Mac just for a stupid little dock.

NightwishFan
October 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
Thats not quite right however I see what you mean. Ubuntu is by no means a broken flashlight compared a Mac. :D

Though considering all things that might just be what she wants. :)

pwnst*r
October 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
That is not really a replacement...that' like me saying "You want a new lamp for your desk, so i'll give you a broken flashlight." Except that's not as bad as what you said. I highly doubt she wants a Mac just for a stupid little dock.

^This.

irv
October 22nd, 2010, 12:21 AM
Agreed, I remember using AWN a while back and it not being quite what I wanted, but I couldn't be happier with it now.

Thread hijack, but what's the icon next to the Xiphos launcher in your first screenshot? Being a student at a Bible college makes me always on the heads up for different bible study tools.

I believe the one you are referring to is Bible Time. I have a commercial package (eBible) for Windows that I got to run under Wine, but I did have a few issues with it. What I liked about it is it came with some very good books.

irv
October 22nd, 2010, 12:28 AM

She has an older Dell that she will be stuck with for awhile, so it would be like putting a bandage on it for the time being. This way she could just pretend it a Mac until she gets through High School. I think when she heads off to college she will have a Mac. Right now she just paid for her first car. And now the gas and insurance.
Who knows, maybe she will fall in Love with Ubuntu and not even what a Mac?

-gabe-noob-
October 22nd, 2010, 04:17 AM
I agree 100% back from when I was using it over 2 years ago, it's become much much much better. But the same is to be said for all the applications I've used since returning to linux. Every thing's developing at very good paces, I'd say.

sdowney717
October 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
http://wiki.awn-project.org/Installation

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/05/31/how-to-install-setup-and-use-avant-window-navigator-awn-in-ubuntu-feisty/

between these 2 sites, I got it going
how about this, are you turning on metacity compositing?
I did and it seems fine. It was turned off.

# Metacity: The default window manager for Gnome. Compositing support was started for this WM in November 2003 (around version 2.7.0), but it has never been very stable. Because of this, it is not enabled in most distributions. Recently though, work started on a new implementation for compositing support that is in version 2.22.0 (and later). To enable the compositing manager, you need to use the "Configuration Editor", AKA gconf-editor, to set the key /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager to true (i.e., the box must be checked).

irv
October 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
The only problem I found with Avant is when doing a presentation it will keep popping it's head up. I have tried every setting and nothing seems to help. It only appears for a few seconds and then goes away. Then in a little while it just appears. If fact, while I was typing this it popped up again. It does it for all application. I have tried the intellihide and the window dodge. Not very intelligent or does not dodge the window very well. It is almost like it is on a timer to show itself automatically.

irv
October 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
The only problem I found with Avant is when doing a presentation it will keep popping it's head up. I have tried every setting and nothing seems to help. It only appears for a few seconds and then goes away. Then in a little while it just appears. If fact, while I was typing this it popped up again. It does it for all application. I have tried the intellihide and the window dodge. Not very intelligent or does not dodge the window very well. It is almost like it is on a timer to show itself automatically.

I did find a work around to this problem. If I set it in "Panel Mode" where the menu stay visible all the time, when I do a presentation it will stay hid. Another way was to simply turn it off (quit the app) until I was done with the presentation.

Oxwivi
October 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
My AWN with Lucido style. :guitar:
Awesome customisability!