PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot reach desktop ("Failed to load module "fglrx") after upgrading

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

I just ran the Ubuntu upgrade manager and went along with the suggestion to do a distribution upgrade (to 10.10). Following this, when I start up my laptop, I only reach the command line (no Gnome session).

If I run "startx", I get:

Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: savedScreenInfo
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Any ideas what to do? The laptop in question is an ACER Aspire 5738ZG (graphics card Radeon HD4570).

Fredrik

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM
I've tried replacing xorg.conf with xorg.conf.failsafe but this results either in a black screen, or a segfault message if I try to startx from recovery mode.

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM
Ubuntu no longer uses the xorg.conf. Try to reconfigure your graphics settings by,

cd /etc/X11

sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.old

sudo rm xorg.conf

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Ubuntu no longer uses the xorg.conf. Try to reconfigure your graphics settings by,

cd /etc/X11

sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.old

sudo rm xorg.conf

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Okay, I've done these. The result is that the screen flickers to purple as it usually does, but then I only get a black screen.

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
You mean it is not automatically booting you to the command line any more, only the screen goes black? If so, it is a good sign.

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM
You mean it is not automatically booting you to the command line any more, only the screen goes black? If so, it is a good sign.

Yes. How is it a good sign? It's seems worse to me if I can't even get a command line to work with :-)

So what's the next step?

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
If you don't see the Grub menu automatically, hold down and press the Shift key at your Bios screen. Now pointing to the first entry, press 'e' to edit it. Using arrow keys, navigate to "quiet & splash" delete them and type "nomodeset" in their place. Press Ctrl + X to continue booting.

Do you see the desktop now?

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 05:55 PM
Nope. The screen flickers. It seems to turn on (purple light), then turns off with 1-second intervals.

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM
From the same Grub menu, you can select recovery mode and choose Safe Graphics Mode or something like that. Does that work either?

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Nope, recovery mode with "failsafeX" gives an error message, including something about a Segmentation fault. The text disappears, so I can't reproduce it here unless it ends up in a log somewhere.

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
I will be doing some search on that.

In the mean time you can start in recovery mode and choose to reconfigure X server or something like that.

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM
How would I "choose to reconfigure X server"? That is apart from running xpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, which didn't help.

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 06:17 PM
How would I "choose to reconfigure X server"? That is apart from running xpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, which didn't help.
Retry ;-)

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 06:21 PM
No luck again :(

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Try purgin fglrx.

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx

If it doesn't work, which graphics card have you got? Did you remove the proprietary drivers before upgrading to 10.10?

fredrikj
October 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM
Ok, tried the purge, and that did the job.

THANK YOU! :D

So if I've understood correctly there is some incompatibility between the proprietary ATI drivers and Ubuntu 10.10, or perhaps something was broken about my installation (I haven't tinkered with it myself apart from installing upgrades, though).

The generic drivers should work fine -- all that was needed was to remove the broken ones properly. It wasn't entirely obvious how to accomplish this. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks again for the swift help! This is why Ubuntu rocks, even when it breaks.

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 07:21 PM
You are Welcome! :-)

See this link for an explanation of the problem you encountered.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1549872

Happy Ubuntu-ing!

sutte
October 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
This solved my problem! Thank you!

neoragexxx
April 29th, 2011, 09:34 AM
i solved mine by following the instructions on first page and reinstalling fglrx instead of removing .

Kladaradatsj
May 8th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I had similar problems half a year ago when I had installed 11.10 on an HP Pavilion g series (they boiled down to a hardware problem solved by adding a HEX key somewhere and this problem, not so easily solved back then - I dislike AMD's APU's).

Today I updated to 12.04 (in-place) and again had the second problem (X failed to load module fglrx). For 12.04 however, I had to use the purge command. I also deleted the xorg.conf file (after another back-up). This made everything work just fine.

oldos2er
May 8th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Old thread closed.