PDA

View Full Version : "A keynote" - an Apple term?

qrwe
October 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hi,

As I stumble upon the term "showing/streaming a keynote" now and then, my question to the community is: is this an Apple term? As their Apple Powerpoint = iWork Keynote, it could be relevant. I still have a feeling though, that Keynote is a little to young and still too small to be known as a bigger concept.
Does anyone know how old this phrase can be?

kaldor
October 21st, 2010, 04:40 PM
As I understand, a keynote is a presentation with some sort of important meaning to it.

Apple named their presentation software after this.

On that note, Keynote is amazing.

Simian Man
October 21st, 2010, 04:48 PM
It's a very old phrase. Basically it's a special speech at some event where many people give presentations/speeches. It's usually the first one and by a respected person who is invited to the event to speak.

kaldor
October 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
It's a very old phrase. Basically it's a special speech at some event where many people give presentations/speeches. It's usually the first one and by a respected person who is invited to the event to speak.

There you go :)

fatality_uk
October 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
iWhile iApple ican iclaim imany iinnovations, iunfortunately ithey icant iclaim "keynote" ibecause iit iis ian iexisting iword.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynote

pwnst*r
October 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
Wow, what else can you dream up?

fatality_uk
October 21st, 2010, 04:55 PM

Directed at me?

juancarlospaco
October 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Keynote = Presentation about Marketing and Fashion.

pwnst*r
October 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM
Directed at me?

Nope, OP.

chessnerd
October 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM
The term keynote was around long before Apple's presentation software. They named the software after the term.

Also:
Key - as in, something of importance
Note - as in, a message

Keynote = an important message

Power - as in, something strong or influential
Point - as in, a particular detail or thought

PowerPoint = an influential thought

Simian Man
October 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Key - as in, something of importance
Note - as in, a message

Keynote = an important message

I like your logic, but the term actually comes from music. Before playing a number, a singing group will sing the note that the music is in the key of - the keynote. This helps all of them stay on key.

KiwiNZ
October 21st, 2010, 08:54 PM
A note to tell someone where you left the key ? :P

tonosecundino
October 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
iWhile iApple ican iclaim imany iinnovations, iunfortunately ithey icant iclaim "keynote" ibecause iit iis ian iexisting iword.

Loved it!

Madspyman
October 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
The term Keynote speech was coined by Apple. It was originally referred to as the Concurrence speech a term often credited to Sun Microsystems, but actually coined by Lighthouse Design. Prior to using the term Keynote speech, Jobs had been known to refer to them as Concurrence speeches, until 2003 when he was inspired to change it due to Microsoft's successful renaming of the Forethought term Presenter to Powerpoint.

You'd probably be best not to take me at my word on this one.

froghopper
October 22nd, 2010, 01:24 AM
You'd probably be best not to take me at my word on this one.

Especially as the Oxford English Dictionary dates the first appearance to "keynote speech" to 1905, with "keynote" meaning important idea going back to the 1780s.

Madspyman
October 22nd, 2010, 01:47 AM
Especially as the Oxford English Dictionary dates the first appearance to "keynote speech" to 1905, with "keynote" meaning important idea going back to the 1780s.

I put the disclaimer because what I wrote is total BS, but your reason is good too. I was trying to be clever whilst taking a jab at Apple and Microsoft.

qrwe
March 2nd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Along with great humor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynote

..and some trolls:

..there is always gold nuggets of knowledge in the community. Thank you!

..the term actually comes from music. Before playing a number, a singing group will sing the note that the music is in the key of - the keynote. This helps all of them stay on key.

Primefalcon
March 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
Loved it!
Ditto!!

Blutkoete
March 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
A note to tell someone where you left the key ? :P

Leaving a note at the door stating that the key is hidden beneath the bush in the garden sounds more like a Microsoft security concept to me.

Habitual
March 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM

too funny.
Every convo I had in the late '90s ended with ".com".
Q: Want to go to Lunch?
A: ,com!

I this, i that, Ay yay yay!
20 somethings marketing to their own iCrowd.

Tristam Green
March 2nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Along with great humor:

..and some trolls:

..there is always gold nuggets of knowledge in the community. Thank you!

4 months later? really?

sydbat
March 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
4 months later? really?Snap.

Giant Speck
March 3rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
4 months later? really?
Ducks.

handy
March 3rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
I always thought it had something to do with pianos...

Tristam Green
March 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Ducks.

This thread is now about them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Five_different_rubber_ducks.jpg/220px-Five_different_rubber_ducks.jpg

Giant Speck
March 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
This thread is now about them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Five_different_rubber_ducks.jpg/220px-Five_different_rubber_ducks.jpg

Is the moose one in the back supposed to be me?

Tristam Green
March 3rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Is the moose one in the back supposed to be me?

Yep! The black one up front is OP, in honor of his necromancy skillz.

KiwiNZ
March 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
I left a note in Keynote to do something about this thread.

Well the time has come he Walrus said......

Go to sleep
Go to sleep
Go to sleep now little note thread