PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Band Project?

isaacj87
October 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM
As a hobby, I like to tinker with audio production. I recently got myself set up with an amazing distro (distorlet?) KXStudio (http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/). Now, I'm just thinking out loud here, but is there an open source band project? One where users from all over the world gather and work on songs together? If something like this exist, please direct me there. I tried Google, but nothing really came up.

It would really cool if I recorded a piano or guitar part, posted it and then somewhere else contributes bass, someone else does drums, vocals, etc.

Then, people could take the bass line and do something completely different with it.

I found this: http://www.freesound.org/whatIsFreesound.php, but I think their goal is bit different.

cchhrriiss121212
October 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM
I have heard of similar approaches, a single guy had asked all his musician friends to send him a melody or theme and he mixed it all together, but I forget the name of the artist(s). It sounded good but, as you would expect, it was unfocused music. I could send you a bass line or two if you want to start one up.
How do you like Kxstudio as a music based distro? I might try it out soon.

Bölvağur
October 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
I will contribute if you'll accept it :P

isaacj87
October 21st, 2010, 07:34 PM
I have heard of similar approaches, a single guy had asked all his musician friends to send him a melody or theme and he mixed it all together, but I forget the name of the artist(s). It sounded good but, as you would expect, it was unfocused music. I could send you a bass line or two if you want to start one up.
How do you like Kxstudio as a music based distro? I might try it out soon.

KXStudio is an amazing distro. Unfortunately, the most problems that plague it are the same that bother Kubuntu. OpenSUSE, IMO, has the best KDE implementation, but KXStudio does really well for itself.

The best part about KXStudio is the PPA. Since Falk-TX put together KXStudio, it also includes his PPA. He has graciously packaged every possible open source music software available. Plus, KXStudio has all the annoying things pre-configured for you (Pulse and Jack, Wine-RT, dssi-vst, etc.) I literally installed KXStudio, tweaked a few things, and I was making music in no time. Try out the LiveDVD (yes, DVD) and you'll see. :)