PDA

View Full Version : undefined symbol: XtManageChild

ladasky
October 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM
Hi folks,

I've just downloaded a package for Python called pymacs. This is NOT the application which establishes a link between Python and the EMACS editor. There's another application with the same name (unfortunately). The pymacs that I mean is an application which links Python to the molecular dynamics package GROMACS. It is found here (http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~dseelig/pymacs.html).

Anyway, pymacs is installed with a sudo python setup.py install. The first time I tried to do this, I got an error message from ld, which said I was missing a file called lfftw3f. I found this puzzling at first, since I had already installed libfftw3. I did some searching and determined that the missing file was in fact in libfftw3-dev. So I installed that, and the build completed.

When I started my Python interpreter, I got a surprise:

IDLE 2.6.4 ==== No Subprocess ====
>>> from pymacs import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
from pymacs import *
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pymacs/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>
from molecule import *
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pymacs/molecule.py", line 37, in <module>
from atomselection import *
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pymacs/atomselection.py", line 24, in <module>
import _pymacs
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pymacs/_pymacs.so: undefined symbol: XtManageChild

I've never received a build-style error message from inside a Python import call before.

I went searching for information on XtManageChild, and it appears to be a function from X windows or Motif. Well, I already have a few X- and Motif-related packages installed, but there are MANY more of them, and I haven't discovered which one contains XtManageChild.

Any guidance would be appreciated! I've had luck in the past looking at my build error logs and finding missing packages, but this time I can't find the right one.

I'm running Python 2.6 on Ubuntu 9.10, not that it should matter.