PDA

View Full Version : New Zealander purportedly the first person to purchase a Windows Phone 7 device

KiwiNZ
October 20th, 2010, 11:28 PM
"Well played, New Zealand. Hobbit-infested scenery, Flight of the Conchords, the first in the world to get iPhone 3Gs... and now this. What you're looking at is purportedly the first person to purchase a Windows Phone 7 device, and even if that's not quite the case, it signals the launch of the phone for the island country, which would make it the first region in the world to put the device on sale. Have patience, non-Kiwi friends."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/windows-phone-7-now-on-sale-in-new-zealand/

alphacrucis2
October 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hobbits appear to be leaving:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/4255670/Hobbit-looks-headed-overseas

MooPi
October 21st, 2010, 12:00 AM
To bad Microsoft will discontinue after a couple of months due to lack of interest and functionality. Kins big brother hehe

alexfish
October 21st, 2010, 01:33 AM
If He's a member confiscate his beans

radar920
October 21st, 2010, 01:57 AM
*edit wrong quote*

Is he also the first person to return windows phone 7?

Dr. C
October 21st, 2010, 04:35 AM
But will a New Zealander also be the first to get a blue screen of death on the device?

Khakilang
October 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM
Will he be the first person to get virus, spyware and malware on a Wibdow 7 handphone?

ctrlmd
October 21st, 2010, 05:06 AM
going to get one me and my bro and 3 of my friends :)

macem29
October 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
you guys joke about this OS....and it's prolly deserved....on a lark while cruising ebay I came
across an ancient smart phone, 5 year old UTstarcom ppc6700...looked in good shape, was
locked to my Canadian provider too so I threw a bid on it...I won the damn thing for $12...arrived last week and it was in great shape, new actually, still in the box....charged it up and played a bit, got the wifi connected and the thing seemed pretty neat, activated with my provider and it's been my phone for 2 weeks now, runs Windows Mobile 5...first actual bug was today...locked it... then got a text message and the notification window for messages popped up right over the on screen unlock button...hmmm, can't dismiss the message cause the phones locked, can't unlock it cause the message is in the way...had to take the battery out and restart the thing, it was actually pretty funny, way to go MS

Dr. C
October 21st, 2010, 06:59 AM
This sounds like the mobile version of a hard reboot after a BSOD.

aytech
October 21st, 2010, 07:15 AM
I had a PDA with windows mobile 6.5 installed, it was pretty slow in some native applications (like office despite of the device having 1Ghz processor), soft resets I had to do every day and at least once in two weeks - a hard reset, as smth always stopped working for no reason. I sold it and got a Symbian smartphone instead, huge difference!

Oxwivi
October 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Why the hell does Windows OS still exist with this kinda problems?!

Johnsie
October 21st, 2010, 10:49 AM
I might get a Windows 7 phone just to play around with it. I like my HTC Desire though (Android).

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
To bad Microsoft will discontinue after a couple of months due to lack of interest and functionality. Kins big brother hehe

...because that's why they stopped making Windows mobile at version 4.

version 5.

version 6.

version 6.5

hmm...

kaldor
October 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
But will a New Zealander also be the first to get a blue screen of death on the device?

It's not based on Windows.

Spr0k3t
October 21st, 2010, 01:32 PM
It's not based on Windows.

It's based on WinCE.

kaldor
October 21st, 2010, 05:27 PM
It's based on WinCE.

Which, in turn, is not based on Windows.

Spr0k3t
October 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Which, in turn, is not based on Windows.

Yes true... but it's the best name for any version of windows evAr.

WINCE
intr.v. winced, winc·ing, winc·es - To shrink or start involuntarily, as in pain or distress; flinch.
n. A shrinking or startled movement or gesture.

forrestcupp
October 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM
New Zealand is the new Japan. :)

I have a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone, and even though it's antiquated, I still like it a lot. Not everyone hates Windows Mobile.

KiwiNZ
October 21st, 2010, 07:30 PM
New Zealand is the new Japan. :)

I have a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone, and even though it's antiquated, I still like it a lot. Not everyone hates Windows Mobile.

We are uniquely Aoteoroa , a South Seas paradise, Mountains, mist and sweeping golden beaches.

Slug71
October 21st, 2010, 11:29 PM
We are uniquely Aoteoroa , a South Seas paradise, Mountains, mist and sweeping golden beaches.

Paradise and golden beaches? i think not.

KiwiNZ
October 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM
Paradise and golden beaches? i think not.

Clearly you have never been here , and what do think that photo of the beach was? Google Abel Tasman National Park , then Bay of Island , Coromandel Beaches and hit images just to name three regions for beaches. Then for stunning fiords google Fiordland National Park.

pwnst*r
October 22nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
Lol @ the MS bashing. Fail.

phrostbyte
October 22nd, 2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah guys, cut it out with the MS bashing. [-(

pwnst*r has long term plans to be the second person to buy a WP7 phone, so we should make sure he is comfortable with his purchase. :)

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2010, 01:20 AM
"Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them." ;)

alexfish
October 22nd, 2010, 01:26 AM

pwnst*r has long term plans to be the second person to buy a WP7 phone, so we should make sure he is comfortable with his purchase. :)

If pwnst*r Yawns twice we will understand.......... :rolleyes:

3rdalbum
October 22nd, 2010, 01:45 AM
Did this New Zealander say WHY he bought the Windows phone? The UI looks ugly and difficult to navigate, and it's not like there would be many applications available for it at launch.

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2010, 01:53 AM
Did this New Zealander say WHY he bought the Windows phone? The UI looks ugly and difficult to navigate, and it's not like there would be many applications available for it at launch.

No doubt he tried it , liked it , met his needs so purchased it.

Update: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4263455/Phone-7-first-in-world

seenthelite
October 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM
I have spent a great deal of time in New Zealand and yes it is an amazing and beautiful country. It is refreshing to know the people are unbiased, do not have prejudices and are willing to use and try new devices. Why not ?

pwnst*r
October 22nd, 2010, 05:57 AM

Wrong. I'm sticking with my Evo. Nice try though,*snip*

Slug71
October 22nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Clearly you have never been here , and what do think that photo of the beach was? Google Abel Tasman National Park , then Bay of Island , Coromandel Beaches and hit images just to name three regions for beaches. Then for stunning fiords google Fiordland National Park.

Actually im a New Zealand citizen. I lived in Auckland for 6 years.

Grenage
October 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Double Post!

Grenage
October 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
No doubt he tried it , liked it , met his needs so purchased it.

I would have put money on: He queued in line for 12 hours, never looked at it, immediately blogged and tweeted, and contacted 10 tech sites to say that he was the first person to get a W7 phone. :)

seenthelite
November 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4266029/Supply-problems-for-Aussie-WP7-launch

handy
November 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Apparently NZ is often used as a country to test out new technology before it goes world wide. Or so I've been told.

Electronic Teller Machines or ATMs, were introduced into NZ first. There is a list of other things also, but I just can't remember them at the mo'.

Swagman
November 5th, 2010, 02:01 PM

If you squint you can just see Mordor