PDA

View Full Version : Apple 'Launchpad' trademark infringement.

dv3500ea
October 20th, 2010, 11:23 PM
One of the announcements (http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/) for the new Mac OS X Lion is a program called Launchpad. It is basically a watered down Unity, so nothing that exciting.

What is worrying, though, is the use of the name 'Launchpad', which is a registered trademark of Canonical Ltd (https://help.launchpad.net/Legal).

There has been a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/664107) posted about this on Launchpad.

What do you people think of this?

Zzl1xndd
October 20th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I was mentioning this at work today. Wonder what will happen.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 20th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Knowing Apple, they'll sue Canonical for using it. :popcorn:

KiwiNZ
October 20th, 2010, 11:43 PM
As Apple have not released it yet they are not in breach of anything. Also the Apple Launchpad from what I have briefly read is just a "launching" icon the Application as such is OSX so it may not be a breach but thats up to the Legal Boffins.

juancarlospaco
October 21st, 2010, 12:05 AM
Cisco IOS <----> Apple IOS
:D

FuturePilot
October 21st, 2010, 12:11 AM
No one made a fuss about this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3#U3_Launchpad)

Oh right, it's Apple. Kill it with fire. :rolleyes:

Slug71
October 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM
Knowing Apple, they'll sue Canonical for using it. :popcorn:

:lolflag:

juancarlospaco
October 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM
The final name will be iLaunchpad

spupy
October 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM
No one made a fuss about this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3#U3_Launchpad)

Oh right, it's Apple. Kill it with fire. :rolleyes:

Because the one is a whatever program no-one has heard of.
The other one is an "amazing" new feature of an up-coming major OS update.

FuturePilot
October 21st, 2010, 12:40 AM
Because the one is a whatever program no-one has heard of.

I disagree. It's included on just about every single SanDisk (and perhaps others) flash drive.

tjeremiah
October 21st, 2010, 02:15 AM
The final name will be iLaunchpad

:lolflag:

thefinn93
October 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
It's included on just about every single SanDisk (and perhaps others) flash drive.

Everyone that I've ever seen use that just gets annoyed by it. Every time I get a flash drive with U3 on it the first thing I do is change the contents of the virtual CD to do more interesting things. Several times I've had people ask me how to remove it. Most people don't want apps on their flash drive, they want them on their computer. And almost everyone who even understands how to use portable apps hates the U3 software with a vengeance.

Every mac fanboy on the planet, on the other hand, will now be totally pumped to use the new iLaunchpad. Until Canoncial sues them for it. Which they had better do.

FuturePilot
October 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Everyone that I've ever seen use that just gets annoyed by it. Every time I get a flash drive with U3 on it the first thing I do is change the contents of the virtual CD to do more interesting things. Several times I've had people ask me how to remove it. Most people don't want apps on their flash drive, they want them on their computer. And almost everyone who even understands how to use portable apps hates the U3 software with a vengeance.

You're missing my point. Yes what you said is mostly true from my experiences, but my point is that there is another piece of software using the name launchpad and has been for years, but nobody made a big deal about it. Only after Apple names something launchpad everyone shouts OMG SUE! Whether people like/use U3 or not, is irrelevant. It's still a widely known and distributed piece of software and its name is still launchpad.

Canis familiaris
October 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
the final name will be ilaunchpad

+1

NightwishFan
October 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
I seriously doubt there will be a lawsuit over this. If so this whole issue is merely Apple sliding a rook into position.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 23rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Companies don't all (or always) go to court with each other over trademark issues, and it would be exceptionally stupid to do so on a whim :)
(And if Canonical did waste money & time initiating such a thing, I would be rather annoyed with them)

It may be a good idea for them to make a point that they run a web service with the name Launchpad; in that area they have a trademark. Beyond that, as long as they have clearly defended their own turf, nobody is hurting anyone.

Especially if Apple decides to be amazingly friendly and renames their product even when it isn't a trademark infringement. (Software is a big field).

This discussion badly needs a mention of Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance.
Apple's marketing people should probably learn how to use Google (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=launchpad), though.

Oxwivi
October 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
the final name will be ilaunchpad
+1

Dustin2128
October 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
I disagree. It's included on just about every single SanDisk (and perhaps others) flash drive.
yes, but does anyone actually use flash drive bloat? I format my flash drives right after I get them.

phrostbyte
October 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Maybe Apple will license the trademark from Canonical, just like they already do from Cisco (for iPhone/iOS).

FuturePilot
October 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
yes, but does anyone actually use flash drive bloat? I format my flash drives right after I get them.

See my previous post.

MisterGaribaldi
October 23rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
This discussion badly needs a mention of Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance.

Oooh! I like that quote. Big ol' +1 to that!

NCLI
October 23rd, 2010, 10:01 PM
One is a development coordination website, and one is an app launcher, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Verbeck
October 23rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
So if i make a bug tacking website called 'MAC OSX Lion' i wont get sued!? excellent!!!

NightwishFan
October 23rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
So if i make a bug tacking website called 'MAC OSX Lion' i wont get sued!? excellent!!!

:lolflag: Good comedic timing... eh typing.

NCLI
October 23rd, 2010, 10:29 PM

That's different ;)

Launchpad is a common word, Mac OSX Lion is a very, very rare and specific phrase(As you probably already knew).

ibuclaw
October 24th, 2010, 01:32 PM
That's different ;)

Launchpad is a common word, Mac OSX Lion is a very, very rare and specific phrase(As you probably already knew).

I think you are confusing Launchpad with Landingpad. ;)

IMO, name trademarks don't hold too much water. Especially if you are marketing two completely different products. For example, you can go out and have a drink of 'Ubuntu Cola' with your friends, or if it's the limelight, maybe some dashing 'Ubuntu Wine'. Then when you arrive home, you can wash your clothes with 'Linux Detergent', and make them all cuddly again with 'Micro&soft Fabric Softener'.

Paqman
October 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Companies don't all (or always) go to court with each other over trademark issues, and it would be exceptionally stupid to do so on a whim :)
(And if Canonical did waste money & time initiating such a thing, I would be rather annoyed with them)

IANAL, but I believe part of retaining the rights to a trademark does involve an obligation to challenge possible infringements. If the lawyers did decide there was a case to be heard, Canonical might be forced to sue Apple, or risk losing the rights to "Launchpad".

IMO though, the two products are different enough that there's not much of an issue. If Apple's Launchpad was a bug tracker or version control package, it'd be time to cry havoc and let slip the dogs of law.

Iksf
October 28th, 2010, 04:34 AM
If launchpad bug tracking was made in a years time, £20 says Apple would sue Canonical. Or if someone made a, er dunno, MySQL server called iSQL that basicly replaced MySQL, same story. Suing people over this kind of thing is stupid and childish, but if everyone else is going to do it.... already fighting an uphill battle

Johnsie
October 28th, 2010, 10:29 AM
As much as I hate Apple, it has a different use so it's fine for them to use that word. Just like the local glass company down the road can sell Windows.

julio_cortez
October 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, you will.

Nestle will sue you:
http://www.pawsonline.info/images/cats%20in%20advertising/lion_bar.jpg

julio_cortez
October 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, you will.

Nestle will sue you:
http://www.pawsonline.info/images/cats%20in%20advertising/lion_bar.jpg

ibuclaw
October 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
As much as I hate Apple, it has a different use so it's fine for them to use that word. Just like the local glass company down the road can sell Windows.

My local glass company is called "Formula One". :)

3rdalbum
October 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I think Mac users should sue Apple for delivering two utterly boring updates to the Mac OS, rather than doing some really interesting stuff. Full-screen apps and a full-screen application launcher are really just fiddling around the edges.

m4tic
October 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
My local glass company is called "Formula One". :)

We have a security company called Ubuntu