PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Multiple issues with OpenLDAP slapd

luvshines
October 20th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I am trying to setup LDAP server on Ubuntu 10.04 and am sticking to the old /etc/ldap/slapd.conf file configuration.

I had to comment ldapi:/// from /etc/default/slapd since it was giving 'Address already in use error'. Also had to juggle with pid directory and file issues :)

After that I was able to start the slapd daemon (service slapd start) but now I am running into multiple issues:

1. Can't stop the service with service slapd stop

## Service stop returns 0, maybe because start-stop-daemon is not giving error
#service slapd stop
Stopping OpenLDAP: slapd.
# echo $?

## ps says that slapd is running
# ps aux | grep slapd
openldap 16312 0.0 0.2 29140 4152 ? Ssl 03:19 0:00 /usr/sbin/slapd -h ldap:/// -g openldap -u openldap -f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf

## This says no such process
# start-stop-daemon --stop --oknodo --retry TERM/10 --pidfile /var/run/slapd/ldap/slapd.pid --exec /usr/sbin/slapd
No /usr/sbin/slapd found running; none killed.

2. Can't slapcat it. I think it is running the HDB database. I have always worked with BDB database so don't know if that can be issue

## As root user
#slapcat
Available database(s) do not allow slapcat

## As non-root user
#slapcat
ldif_read_file: Permission denied for "/etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config.ldif"
slapcat: bad configuration file!

Will switching to BDB database resolve this ??
Also can't I slapcat at non-root user ??

luvshines
October 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Some success on the first issue.

Just found something interesting (for me atleast)

I changed pid file location to /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid which is default in cn=config.ldif

But the thing is, if I don't speficy the --pidfile in start-stop-daemon it is able to stop the service

start-stop-daemon --stop --oknodo --retry TERM/10 --exec /usr/sbin/slapd -vvv
Stopped /usr/sbin/slapd (pid 18108)

Now the interesting part is:
a) For starting the service it uses

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --pidfile /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid --exec /usr/sbin/slapd -- -h ldap:/// -g openldap -u openldap -f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf

Here since it will not get any process with that pid and slapd running it will start the service

But, noone creates the PID file

b) For stopping the service if it uses

start-stop-daemon --stop --oknodo --retry TERM/10 --pidfile /var/run/slapd/ldap/slapd.pid --exec /usr/sbin/slapd

Since it finds no pid file it won't kill the service

So, the question now is who creates the PID file. Since there is not code for that in /etc/init.d/slapd

This failure of PID file creation also results in service being reported as not running, even when it is

luvshines
October 21st, 2010, 11:01 AM
As always, had to resolve the issue myself :(, no response here

1. Added at the end of start_slapd functino in /etc/init.d/slapd
pidof /usr/sbin/slapd > "$SLAPD_PIDFILE"

This now creates the required pid file with correct pid file and start/stop/status/restart now works perfect

2. Instead of slapcat, have to use

slapcat -f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf

And this command only runs as sudo, not as any other user