PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Any Idea why?!

Unknown201
October 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Hey Newbie here ..
I am trying to install the latest version of Ubuntu linux but the same thing happens if I try installing it while logged in to windows 7 or by running LiveCD before Windows runs!
After the CD boots it gives me choices and I choose Install, it freezes for 2 mints then it shows writtings and the last line says: Kernal thread help....
I have Toshiba C650-129, Any idea how to do this?!
I tried installing the same CD on a desktop and it worked without any issue ...
If anyone can help me please ...

UnterUn
October 20th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Just an idea but have you got the right architecture? Most laptops these days seem to be 32bit while desktops are mostly (but not always) 64bit so that might be the problem. (I had a similar problem when i tried to install 32bit Linux on 64bit windows, didn't seem to like it very much - after all Live CDs are run within windows, so i presume architectures important, but i wouldn't be certain)

Unknown201
October 21st, 2010, 04:15 AM
Just an idea but have you got the right architecture? Most laptops these days seem to be 32bit while desktops are mostly (but not always) 64bit so that might be the problem. (I had a similar problem when i tried to install 32bit Linux on 64bit windows, didn't seem to like it very much - after all Live CDs are run within windows, so i presume architectures important, but i wouldn't be certain)

well I tried both 32bit and 64bit and the same problem happened.
while on my desktop I installed the 32bit of ubuntu while using 64bit of THE SAME VERSION OF WINDOWS 7, I installed it on my desktop and laptop.

UnterUn
October 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM
well I tried both 32bit and 64bit and the same problem happened.
while on my desktop I installed the 32bit of ubuntu while using 64bit of THE SAME VERSION OF WINDOWS 7, I installed it on my desktop and laptop.

That is very, very strange...when you use the live install CD could you try 'testing' the desktop instead of installing straight away and try installing from there? If you can't or that don't work possibly try and install a earlier version and upgrade once you've done.... after that i have no idea :(

mocoloco
October 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM
Try "safe graphics" mode. Boot from disc, when the screen first turns purple you see icons at the bottom that are supposed to mean "pressing a key will give you a menu" (although it seems to be saying "people in circles equal keyboards")
On that menu I think you press F4 to get a list of modes and you can try safe graphics. Then when it actually boots, to the "try" and not the "install" and make sure everything runs ok.

Unknown201
October 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks Guys I will try it out and will tell you what happens :)

--------------------- EDIT ----------------------
Tried what you guys said and still the same error happens :(
Here is a Screenshop on what is happening after I click on: Try Ubuntu / Install Ubuntu
It appears after 2 minutes freez after clicking on Installing or Try Ubuntu
[IMG]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3852/dsc00165zt.jpg