PDA

View Full Version : Scariest PC Game?

sikander3786
October 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Please post the scariest ever PC game you ever came across.

I saw one, think flash based. It was a maze mouse game. Can't find it now.

Can you list some more please?

amauk
October 20th, 2010, 07:14 PM
The Penumbra series

CharlesA
October 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Does Left4Dead count? *hides*

I'd say something "Doom-like"

lzfy
October 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Doom 3 and Dead Space I think.

Paul820
October 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
LOL, games aren't scary. You wimps :P

Naiki Muliaina
October 20th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Penumbra's and Amnesia.

alexan
October 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM
It depend on your age and how many of the same kind you'd see previously.
The former "Alone in the dark" series seems pretty laughable today (2010)... not so in the '92

whiskeylover
October 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Pacman

Simian Man
October 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM
The original Thief games were very scary when they came out, though I suspect they wouldn't be today.

Oxwivi
October 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Minesweeper.

CharlesA
October 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
The original Thief games were very scary when they came out, though I suspect they wouldn't be today.

The one with Garrett? I loved the first one.

It kinda makes me wonder if it'll run on my main desktop.. Hmm...

Grenage
October 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Penumbra series. I get really involved in games....

...and I'm a big girl's blouse.

blueturtl
October 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I don't know if I'd use the word 'scary' but the original Alien vs. Predator was fairly unnerving, especially when you played as a marine.

medic2000
October 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Period. Endless unease, endless darkness, insanity...

Simian Man
October 20th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The one with Garrett? I loved the first one.

It kinda makes me wonder if it'll run on my main desktop.. Hmm...

Yeah, great game! I tried on Vista and wine, and it didn't work on either. I didn't try that hard though.

Calash
October 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
FEAR.

It was a bit cliche with the whole "scary girl" thing, but that game had it's freaky moments.

BioShock.

The sounds are what really made this scare. Dark hallway and you can hear the faint sound of somebody singing in another room and then BLAM...slicer dropping from the ceiling.

CharlesA
October 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah, great game! I tried on Vista and wine, and it didn't work on either. I didn't try that hard though.

Definitely a great game.

I played the original on my XP box long, long ago (got the game bundled with a sound card or some such thing). Too bad I doubt it'll run on my 7 box or in Wine. :(

whiskeylover
October 20th, 2010, 09:10 PM
FEAR.

It was a bit cliche with the whole "scary girl" thing, but that game had it's freaky moments.

Tried the FEAR demo on PS3, but the screens were too dark for my liking... like I had a hard time finding doors. But it was scary.

odiseo77
October 20th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Definitely a great game, and very scary too (I've played all the 3 games of the series, although haven't completed all of them). By the way, the last one (Thief: Deadly Shadows) runs very nice on wine; the second one doesn't (for me at least).

Brent0
October 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM
The Silent Hill games on PS2 were pretty creepy in the dark basement at my old house. I used to stay up until late at night to play it alone in the dark.
Although, I was younger then so I might have been easier to scare. The Amnesia demo didn't scare me at all.

sydbat
October 20th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Minesweeper.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the nightmares are going to come back!!!!! You bastard!!!!

3Miro
October 21st, 2010, 01:48 AM
Of the games that I have played (not many on the scary list) Alien vs Predator tops everything. I couldn't even finish the first level, too intense for me, it is not something that I enjoy.

Of the games that I have actually finished, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had couple of bad dungeons, but I could stomach that much.

JOHNNYG713
October 21st, 2010, 02:00 AM
Upgrading ! Now THAT is one scary game! :twisted:

mainerror
October 21st, 2010, 02:08 AM
Resident Evil series.

andrewabc
October 21st, 2010, 02:18 AM
http://www.gamestar.hu/apix/0306/ss2.jpg

How dare you insect.

themarker0
October 21st, 2010, 02:19 AM
Tetris. No joking, i literally am scared of that game.

JLGreen
October 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM
FEAR.

I second the vote for FEAR. With Headphones or Surround Sound that game will send chills down your spine.

odiseo77
October 21st, 2010, 02:33 AM
Besides Thief, mentioned before, I've found Undying to be very scary.

forrestcupp
October 21st, 2010, 02:35 AM
The Ravenholm level of HL2 was pretty scary. I really didn't like that level.

jeffathehutt
October 21st, 2010, 02:52 AM
That old Coaster game for DOS. Some of those rides were very scary! ;)

CharlesA
October 21st, 2010, 02:59 AM

I found it fun flinging saw blades and stuff around with the gravity gun...

But yeah, I found it bloody creepy.

amauk
October 21st, 2010, 04:57 AM
There was a game in the early 90's called Sanitarium, that (I'm sure due to my age at the time) was the scariest thing I've ever played

You woke up in a sanitarium, having lost your memory, and you had to escape the sanitarium and try to work out how you ended up there

I never got very far into the game, but I remember the first level, where the guy in the cell next to you is just standing there repeatedly banging his head against the wall, with a splodge of blood on the wall cause he's been doing it for ages

Anyway, scary game at the time

swoll1980
October 21st, 2010, 05:13 AM
The Silent Hill games on PS2 were pretty creepy in the dark basement at my old house. I used to stay up until late at night to play it alone in the dark.
Although, I was younger then so I might have been easier to scare. The Amnesia demo didn't scare me at all.

The original Silent Hill for the PS1 is, in my opinion, the scariest game ever made.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 21st, 2010, 06:56 AM
Probably the scariest game I ever played was Resident Evil 2. I Only got part of the way through Resident Evil 4 but that was pretty scary too. I usually don't play scary games.

Ravenholm in Half-Life 2 wasn't remotely scary to me. It is probably my favorite part of that game.

m4tic
October 21st, 2010, 08:33 AM
Gotta be tetris

Grenage
October 21st, 2010, 08:43 AM
Of the games that I have played (not many on the scary list) Alien vs Predator tops everything. I couldn't even finish the first level, too intense for me, it is not something that I enjoy.

Of the games that I have actually finished, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had couple of bad dungeons, but I could stomach that much.

I didn't get past the first level, either. I remember lots of steam and dark tunnels... and the noises...

I got up to the ghost children in FEAR.

sikander3786
October 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
I believe The Community Cafe is the most active place in UF :-)

I have seen some very good suggestion already. Some funny one's as well like Pacman, Minesweeper and Tetris.

Lets change it a bit, like if I want to play with a mate, making him play a game like the scary maze game and hear his scream, is there any alternative?

http://www.maniacworld.com/maze_game.htm

http://www.kensavage.com/archives/scary-maze-game/

Wild_Duck66
October 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Gloom in messy mode on an Amiga CD32

JasonNM
October 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM
scary games i've played so far
Resident Evil
Condemned: Criminal Origins

NMFTM
October 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM
I don't find games to be all that scary anymore. But way back in the day when I had AOL there was a game in the Kids Only section (think it was a demo, actually) that was this action-adventure type deal where you couldn't look up or down and started off in this outside courtyard of a castle, and went in. I think it was called Daymare or something. But I was never able to find it again when I looked.

bvanaerde
October 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thief: Deadly Shadows
The "Shalebridge Cradle" level is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen in a game :shock:

ickyplush
October 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
Dead Space for sure.

Aliens, isolation, shadows, frreeeaaking terrifying

bash
October 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I don't know if I'd use the word 'scary' but the original Alien vs. Predator was fairly unnerving, especially when you played as a marine.

Beep ---- Beep ---- Beep ---- Beep --- Beep -- Beep - Beep - Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep

Game wasn't really scary. Actually never found games scary and never understood why people where so freaked out at Doom 3 or Dead Space. But what this game did was to get you to be always on edge because of that simple monotone beep of the proximity sensor.

Going to try out Amnesia now as it supposedly good at getting the player to feel uneasy and unnerved.

blueturtl
October 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
It seems most of the games that have worked on me are ones that don't show you the enemies that much but do let you anticipate their presence. AvP and Resident Evil2 work this way (in RE2 you enter a room, and hear slow footsteps or something else nasty without seeing what is making the noise... eep!).

Resident Evil 1 & 2 otherwise suffer from some unwanted humor, especially the first one. The most horrifying thing about that game is the dialogue. :D

The new games like Dead Space or Doom3 don't have any contrast (there are no peaceful moments to lull you into a false sense of security) and as such become rather dull after some time.

mainerror
October 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM

I second that plus the one in the blocked tunnel. Somehow that level reminds me of 28 days later.

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM

I was fine until the fast headcrab zombies appeared. Then I soiled myself.

BioShock
Phantasmagoria
Silent Hill

undecim
October 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
Anything by Frictional (e.g. Penumbra, Amnesia)

I still haven't made it through Penumbra: Overture. After playing that game for a while I start to hear those evil dog things' growls everywhere.

I think it's partially due to the fact that the game is meant to be played at night with the lights off (as it instructs you to do).

Bölvağur
October 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
The Penumbra series

no they weren't

FEAR.

The only thing about the single player is that you start to learn to expect when scary things come. But the first year playing the multiplayer I was able to panic or be startled when enemies run past you right next to me.

annoying would be my description of that game. I still like it, and yes you become scared of the enemy because how stupidly strong they are sometimes compared to you, but still it's no problem to go into the duty base and kill them all, just takes a long time and a lot of ammo :P It's just so imbalanced I guess, sometimes very hard sometiems way too easy. When it's hard it can be scary.

del_diablo
October 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM
BioShock

Had a few scary moments in level 1.
After that it just have a nice atmosphere.
Played trough it on mono audio output, it was really annoying.

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2010, 03:41 PM
Had a few scary moments in level 1.
After that it just have a nice atmosphere.
Played trough it on mono audio output, it was really annoying.

I won't lie. I haven't made it past level 1, I was so terrified.

Grenage
October 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
I won't lie. I haven't made it past level 1, I was so terrified.

I never made it past level one, because the PC port kept crashing.

Donalt2010
October 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Bioshock was very atmospheric. I loved it, Resident Evil 2 scared the b'jasus out of me maybe because I was alot younger then. FEAR was very atmospheric aswell I thought. Cant really get into scary games takes alot of courage to play them and definately with the lights on:) I'm more of a Halo guy anyway:D

odiseo77
October 21st, 2010, 05:16 PM
The "Shalebridge Cradle" level is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen in a game :shock:

Indeed, very creepy :eek:

ZarathustraDK
October 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hands down Penumbra Overture & Black Plague-sequel. The soundscape, direct manipulation of objects and lack of a HUD makes it probably the most immersive horror-game I've ever played.

i've yet to play it at the proper gamma-level at night :)

I hear good things about the Fatal Frame series too, I've yet to play it though...

EarthMind
October 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM
Left 4 Dead is quite scary in the beginning, especially if you are in a sitation where you are the only survivor! Also Amnesia is supposed to be scary judging by the trailer. I have bought the game but haven't downloaded it yet :|