PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update to 10.10 or stick with 10.4?

paynek716
October 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM
What is the general sentiment regarding 10.10 vs. 10.4? I'm happy with 10.4 except for one issue - Firefox became S-L-O-W after installing 10.4. I switched to Chromium and it's a lot faster in Ubuntu.

Firefox is still okay in other OS at home (Vista, XP).

mörgæs
October 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
This might speed up Firefox:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

If this is the only problem I would recommend staying with 10.04.

sikander3786
October 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
If you are an enthusiast, just curious for the newer software, you can always try the Live CD, see if everything works fine. Look if all of your hardware is detected and then make the switch.

I always recommend a clean/fresh install, not the version upgrade. Why? Because it is faster, doesn't break any thing on the system, doesn't make you fall in all those troubles etc etc.

However, on my production machines, I use the LTS versions till the new LTS version comes out. Always your own choice.

TBABill
October 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM
If you can follow the recommendations of user lovinglinux, linked above, you will find your Firefox to be tweaked and as fast as it should be. There are lots of optimization steps you can take to get it to both run and load faster, plus keep flash up to date and using the correct version (32 or 64 bit) for your OS.

10.10 is quirky right now depending on hardware, which is always the case. If it runs well from the LiveCD you should be ok, but a quick search through the forums will show the types of problems being encountered right now.