PDA

View Full Version : Just cleaned 4,379,5Mibs of log files...

Swiss
April 14th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Just cleaned 4,379,5Mibs (4.4GiBs!) of log files from my XP computer! :D

ComplexNumber
April 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
wow! what on earth are you running on your PC - are they microsoft's customer complaints department logs for the last 30 minutes? :mrgreen: j/k. sorry, i couldn't resist.

ubernoob
April 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Either something is very wrong with your XP, or something is very right. Mine XP has never the chance to reach 4 GB of log files, since i have to reinstall it after 6-12 months of use. :D

Swiss
April 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM
It's left on all night, all the time! 4.4GB is avarage. In a week I collected nearly 400MB
of logs! Thats just browsing the internet and other normal activities.
Most people have massive log files & don't even know it! If you use XP, use a log cleaner! Log files slow a computer drastically (sp?) before I cleaned the start menu took 20s to open (literally) now it takes about 2s...

I used CCleaner, its Opensource/freeware.

wow! what on earth are you running on your PC - are they microsoft's customer complaints department logs for the last 30 minutes? j/k. sorry, i couldn't resist.

Haha! I can say with pride:
I have never contacted Microsoft's Customer Complaints Department, or any other M$ anything!

insane_alien
April 14th, 2006, 05:03 PM
heh I got 4.6GB. I win!, yet another reason to switch to linux...

Swiss
April 14th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a competition!

@Insane
How does it feel to have 4.6GB of space back? :D

WildTangent
April 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Sounds like a competition!

@Insane
How does it feel to have 4.6GB of space back? :D
You're on...I'll clean my windows box out later. I haven't cleaned the logs for over a year

-Wild

Swiss
April 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Oh, My, Goodness! ;)
I look forward to seeing your results!

ubernoob
April 14th, 2006, 10:27 PM
how do you find the log size in windows? (I'm a windows noob :oops: ) I'll check my laptop tomorrow. (Which i hardly use after i found ubuntu ;))

Swiss
April 15th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Use CCleaner, it finds log files and gives you a report. Then it allows you to delete them. As you can see, I recovered 4.4GB!
Link: www.ccleaner.com

BTW: I like your Avatar! But not your sig, perhaps you could change it? There are young people on this Forum (Including myself) who shouldn't be seeing stuff like that. I won't like you any less if you don't, its just a suggestion. ;)

~Swiss

dcraven
April 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I used CCleaner, its Opensource/freeware.
Unless I'm mistaken, this software is just Freeware, not open source. Please be more precise when using these terms as it can be misleading.

Cheers,
~djc

ComplexNumber
April 15th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, this software is just Freeware, not open source. Please be more precise when using these terms as it can be misleading.

Cheers,
~djc
you're not mistaken. it is freeware, and not open source.

bjweeks
April 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM
BTW: I like your Avatar! But not your sig, perhaps you could change it? There are young people on this Forum (Including myself) who shouldn't be seeing stuff like that. I won't like you any less if you don't, its just a suggestion.

50% of the world has one.

Swiss
April 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM

By Opensource/Freeware, I mean its either Opensource or Freeware! I couldn't remember which so... ;)

50% of the world has one.

Bosh! Thats only 3% true!

ubernoob
April 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM
There... now i have changed my signature ;)

I checked the logs, and they said 61,9 MB. And most of them aren't from windows, but from other applications like flash, java, office, azureus.

Changing the options only to include logs from windows gives me 17,5 mb. That seems more normal. Are you sure that was ONLY logs from windows?