PDA

View Full Version : Add applets in netbook DE?

Dave_L
October 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Is it possible to add panel applets in the netbook desktop environment? (I don't know what this DE is called.)

I know how to do it if I log in with the usual Gnome DE, but applets added there don't seem to show up when I log in with the netbook DE.

Is there a configuration file somewhere that can be manually edited to do this?

kerry_s
October 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Is it possible to add panel applets in the netbook desktop environment?

no, not really.

ramsesdm
October 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Is it possible to add panel applets in the netbook desktop environment? (I don't know what this DE is called.)

I know how to do it if I log in with the usual Gnome DE, but applets added there don't seem to show up when I log in with the netbook DE.

Is there a configuration file somewhere that can be manually edited to do this?

With 10.04 I added applets in desktop edition and then a login in Netbook Edition and works.

kerry_s
October 21st, 2010, 12:31 AM
With 10.04 I added applets in desktop edition and then a login in Netbook Edition and works.

in 10.10 mutter draws the panel, so gnome-panel applets just won't work.

bigsmitty64
October 21st, 2010, 04:53 AM
Hopefully I'm on the same page here, but for me, with 10.10, when I open a program, it's icon appears on the panel, then I right click the icon (while the program is open) and have the option "keep in panel"

kerry_s
October 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hopefully I'm on the same page here, but for me, with 10.10, when I open a program, it's icon appears on the panel, then I right click the icon (while the program is open) and have the option "keep in panel"

those are programs, applets are different. see pic

Dave_L
October 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM
I'm using 10.04. I did try adding a panel applet in Gnome; it didn't show up in the netbook DE.

If it's definitely not possible in 10.10, then I probably shouldn't get used it in 10.04.

One issue: if I right-click on an existing applet in the netbook DE, there's an option to remove it from the panel. If I did that, would I be able to add it back to the panel? (There's no unused area of the panel on which to right-click; the application title bar expands to fill up all the available space.)