PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GNOME & powersave probs after routine update

IndigoJo
October 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
After doing a routine upgrade of Meerkat using the Update Manager (note: not from Lucid to Maverick, but a routine system update), a number of problems have appeared:

- While booting, machine appears to hang while "checking battery state" (I had hit Esc to get rid of the splash screen so I could see the messages)
- When GDM appeared, widgets sometimes do not appear correctly, including the user selector, and the kernel messages are not replaced by a GDM background
- A system alert message saying something like "GNOME Power Configuration not been installed correctly, please contact your administrator" appears in top right (I am the administrator)
- Many GNOME preferences have been lost once GNOME starts, including widget styling (displays in basic GTK "Windows" style rather than the chosen style - Clearlooks in my case, and when you use the Appearance app in the System/Preferences menu and select a widget style, it changes the style for that window alone, not panels or any other app)
- My top panel had been rearranged with everything bunched up together (rather than some things at far left and others at far right) and it didn't fill the width of the screen as it had before (i.e. "Expand" lost)
- Other GNOME prefs lost, e.g. it makes sounds when I do pretty much everything, and I had disabled them before

Clearly there is a huge bug in one of the updates issued in the last day or so.