PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How should i download Ubuntu?

not_the_geekiest
October 20th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I am planning on downloading Ubuntu but I don'e know which option to chose from.

What is the difference (in effectiveness) between using Wubi or partitioning my disk?

Ununtu 32 bit is recommended. Why is that?

Grenage
October 20th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I am planning on downloading Ubuntu but I don'e know which option to chose from.

What is the difference (in effectiveness) between using Wubi or partitioning my disk?

Wubi installs and runs Ubuntu from within Windows, as I understand it. I would always recommend a 'real' install over its kind.

Ununtu 32 bit is recommended. Why is that?

Your guess is as good as ours, they're probably just playing it safe in case the user has a really old CPU; I recommend x64 for any x64-capable hardware.

P4man
October 20th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Wubi=trouble. Avoid it, unless for some reason you really cant or dont want to touch your partitions. You'll run in to trouble when you want to resize partitions, if you screw up and need to fix your install, and each time you update or upgrade there is a ridiculous high chance it breaks the bootloader. There is a small performance hit too. Only advantage is that its really easy to install for windows users.

As for the 32 bit version. there are endless discussions on that. Basically, it usually doesnt matter. 64 bit is a tiny bit faster and supports more than 4GB ram which already is far more than most ubuntu users ever need; downside, potentially some minor issues with flash playback and wifi drivers.