PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.10 Issues on my install, fixes and work arounds

snowguy
October 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I was a bit disappointed in the high number of issues I had with 10.10. I installed the 64 bit version but when I had problems I went to the 32 bit version. When I then found the same problems there I came back to 64. At this point I have worked through all ctitical issues for me and found work arounds for the rest.

This is my summary of issues and fixes or work arounds in case it is hepful to others.

Issue: Flash player not working in full screen mode.
FIX: run the following commands in terminal:

sudo mkdir /etc/adobe
sudo su
sudo echo \"OverrideGPUValidation = 1\" >> /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

I got this from: http://www.noobrescue.com/blog/flash-fullscreen-doesnt-work-on-ubuntu-10-10

Issue: brasero isn't working
FIX: do the following steps.
* remove brasero, then re-install a fresh version
* install gnomebaker
* switch off the computer, then on again.
I got this from: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1599427

Issue: when manually ejecting CD/DVD from cd/dvd player the volume doesn't automatically unmount as it did in 10.04. When a new cd/dvd is inserted the desktop would either do nothing or add a second CD/DVD icon on the screen. If it did nothing, if you click on the icon (with the old now wrong name) then usually it shows you the first level down of information on the old dvd/cd. Trying to open any file returns an error.

Work around: don't use the physical eject button on computer. Instead
right click on the icon and click eject.

Issue: Alt-F2 is not working properly.
When I click A;t-F2 it acts like I selected the window and want to move it. Hitting escape gits rid of that problem. Still no "Run Application" window pops up. Worst of all the mouse then woudln't work at all. Had to use the keyboard to restart the computer.
Work around: I was using a wireles mouse and keyboard. When I swapped them out for a regular keyboard the problem stopped. Interestingly the sane keyboard that wasn't working for alt-f2 in 10.10 worked just fine in 10.04.
Additional Info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1596173

M93
October 20th, 2010, 09:32 AM
could u plz say how u got this problem solved so u could help other people with the same problem, thank u.

snowguy
October 21st, 2010, 03:49 AM
well yeah. happy to do that. IN fact I thought I had done that--but clearly I didn't do it well enough. i posted several issues and for each the solution/work around. Is there a question about one or more of them I can answer for you?

lotharmat
October 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Thank you so much for the Brasero solution! - Mine is working like a charm now!

nutznboltz
October 31st, 2010, 10:19 PM
* install gnomebaker

This works for me provided that I stop using brasero to copy the disk and switch to gnomebaker.

It fails for me if I continue to attempt to use brasero. I still get a brasero-session.log with

Checking session consistency (brasero_burn_check_session_consistency brasero-burn.c:1744)
Unsupported type of task operation
Session error : An internal error occurred (brasero_burn_record brasero-burn.c:2862)

Ubuntu 10.10
gnomebaker 0.6.4-1ubuntu1
brasero 2.32.0-0ubuntu2

So how to make "right-click -> copy disc" use gnomebaker and not brasero?

maxter
December 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
* install gnomebaker

It is sufficeint to install only cdrdao, gnomebaker is not required.

quequotion
February 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Issue: when manually ejecting CD/DVD from cd/dvd player the volume doesn't automatically unmount as it did in 10.04. When a new cd/dvd is inserted the desktop would either do nothing or add a second CD/DVD icon on the screen. If it did nothing, if you click on the icon (with the old now wrong name) then usually it shows you the first level down of information on the old dvd/cd. Trying to open any file returns an error.

Work around: don't use the physical eject button on computer. Instead
right click on the icon and click eject.

I'd like to know more about this issue. Have you filed a bug report?

I'm having related trouble with mounting cd/dvd images to a virtual drive.

Mounting and unmounting in terminal produces no errors, but nautilus and bash don't recognise the changes.

The folder from a previously mounted image (at /media/somediskimage/) still exists and shows the files of the previous image.

If I use nautilus to eject the disk (right click, eject) the folder (/media/somediskimage/) will be removed. Then, if I mount a new image, nautilus will make a new folder (/media/somenewdiskimage/) with the files of the new image and bash recognises it as well.

Oddly, wine doesn't seem to care. Even if the folder name and file list don't match the actual disk image mounted on the virtual drive, wine recognises the new disk--even though it isn't mapping a drive to the device itself (impossible) and has no means of connecting the old folder to the new mount.....?