PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hp mini broadcom wireless setup

ali999
October 20th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently had to reinstall ubuntu netbook 10.04 on my comp after I messed it up accidently. Only problem is now I cant get my wireless driver to install. Previously I had access to a wired connection so it was easy to do, but unfortunately I don't have that anymore. I tried to follow the instructions here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288865 but keep getting a message saying I need to insert CD-ROM with no workaround. Being a netbook, my ocmputer has no cd rom. How can I install the drivers off the USB?

Thanks in advance.

P4man
October 20th, 2010, 07:43 AM
You can download the .deb packages and put them on a usb stick, then just double click to install. Solving dependencies can be tricky (package A requiring package B which depends on C and D, so you need to get them all), but in this case it might be straightforward:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/bcmwl-kernel-source

If you do need to install extra packages, the installer will tell you which ones, and you can grab them from the same site and you may need to install them all at once by running

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/your/usb/*.deb

ali999
October 21st, 2010, 01:15 AM
I tried the method above get this error. Not really sure what to make of it...any ideas?

(Reading database ... 117868 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace bcmwl-kernel-source 5.60.48.36+bdcom-0ubuntu5 (using bcmwl-kernel-source_5.60.48.36+bdcom-0ubuntu5_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement bcmwl-kernel-source ...
Preparing to replace dkms 2.1.1.2-2fakesync1 (using dkms_2.1.1.2-3ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement dkms ...
Selecting previously deselected package libc6-dev.
Unpacking libc6-dev (from libc6-dev_2.12.1-0ubuntu6_i386.deb) ...
Preparing to replace linux-headers-generic 2.6.35.22.23 (using linux-headers-generic_2.6.35.22.23_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-headers-generic ...
Preparing to replace linux-libc-dev 2.6.35-1022.33 (using linux-libc-dev_2.6.35-1022.35_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-libc-dev ...
Setting up dkms (2.1.1.2-3ubuntu1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/kernel/prerm.d/dkms ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms ...
Setting up linux-headers-generic (2.6.35.22.23) ...
Setting up linux-libc-dev (2.6.35-1022.35) ...
Setting up libc6-dev (2.12.1-0ubuntu6) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (5.60.48.36+bdcom-0ubuntu5) ...
Loading new bcmwl-5.60.48.36+bdcom DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 2.6.35-22-generic
Building for architecture i686
Building initial module for 2.6.35-22-generic
/usr/sbin/dkms: line 35: patch: command not found

Error! Application of patch 0001-MODULE_LICENSE.patch failed.
Check /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.60.48.36+bdcom/build/ for more information.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/apport/package-hooks/dkms.py", line 57, in <module>
report.write(open(apport.fileutils.make_report_pat h(report), 'w'))
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/crash/bcmwl-kernel-source.0.crash'
dpkg: error processing bcmwl-kernel-source (--install):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 6
Errors were encountered while processing:
bcmwl-kernel-sourc

ali999
October 21st, 2010, 05:24 AM
problem solved...turns out i was using the drivers for lucid and not meerkat

P4man
October 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM
I linked to the ones for lucid, because thats what you said you were using :)

Anyway, please make the thread as [solved] in thread tools :)

Angelo Maldito
October 30th, 2010, 10:46 AM
After several hours struggling to fix my wifi on my HP MINI 210, even with broadcom sta driver enabled, wireless supposedly enabled (but with the led light off and not able to see the available networks) I have finally found the solution here:

http://life.firelace.com/2010/10/tips-and-tricks-upgrading-to-ubuntu-10-10-wireless-fix/ (THANK YOU VERY MUCH DARKMOON !!!)

The solution was simple, for whatever reason that I am not able to understand, after you intall the drivers and everything else, THE BLOODY THING COMES BLOCKED !!!

So in order to unblock, the goddamn thing just open a terminal, login as root ant type the following command:

rfkill unblock all

Thats is it, now its done, working perfectly !!!

I hope it save some hours for someone !

samo_ak47
March 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
After several hours struggling to fix my wifi on my HP MINI 210, even with broadcom sta driver enabled, wireless supposedly enabled (but with the led light off and not able to see the available networks) I have finally found the solution here:

http://life.firelace.com/2010/10/tips-and-tricks-upgrading-to-ubuntu-10-10-wireless-fix/ (THANK YOU VERY MUCH DARKMOON !!!)

The solution was simple, for whatever reason that I am not able to understand, after you intall the drivers and everything else, THE BLOODY THING COMES BLOCKED !!!

So in order to unblock, the goddamn thing just open a terminal, login as root ant type the following command:

rfkill unblock all

Thats is it, now its done, working perfectly !!!

I hope it save some hours for someone !

Your a life saver thanks alot!!!! it did save me hours of troubles and i'm sure alot of other people whos got this laptop and intalled the latest updates!