PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB key issues: Unable to stop drive and Read only file system

adummy
October 20th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Every time when I right click the USB drive icon and select "Safely remove drive" I always get this error message
Unable to stop drive

Error detaching: helper exited with exit code 1: Detaching device /dev/sdc
USB device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.1/usb2/2-4)
SYNCHRONIZE CACHE: synchronize cache(10): Fixed format, current; Sense key: Key=9
Additional sense: Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
Info fld=0x0 [0]
FAILED: No such file or directory
(Continuing despite SYNCHRONIZE CACHE failure.)
STOP UNIT: start stop unit: transport: Host_status=0x07 [DID_ERROR]
Driver_status=0x00 [DRIVER_OK, SUGGEST_OK]

FAILED: No such file or directory
even though the icon does disappear from the desk top. :confused:
I have been ignoring it since the USB drive seems working fine.

Now I have a more serious problem. When I tried to copy files onto the USB drive it says "read only file system" and doesn't let me. I tried unplug and plug the USB key but that doesn't help. :(

mikewhatever
October 20th, 2010, 03:45 AM
When was the last time you've run a file system check on it? Do you know what file system is there?
Can you post the output of sudo fdisk -l with the device attached.

adummy
October 20th, 2010, 04:16 AM
When was the last time you've run a file system check on it? Do you know what file system is there?
Can you post the output of sudo fdisk -l with the device attached.

Here you go:

last_lba(): I don't know how to handle files with mode 40700File system is FAT32 - is this compatible with ubuntu?

Windows chkdsk did find a bunch of errors and fixed them with /f option. After the fix the ubuntu fdisk still gives the same "I don't know" message and "safely remove disk" still gives the error message. Help!

mikewhatever
October 20th, 2010, 05:19 AM
If the file system check doesn't solve it, formatting may help. Just backup the files before formatting. Both fat32 and ntfs, Windows file systems, work in Linux.

adummy
October 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM
If the file system check doesn't solve it, formatting may help. Just backup the files before formatting. Both fat32 and ntfs, Windows file systems, work in Linux.

Thanks but I would avoid formatting if possible though. It works fine on Windows PCs. I just did chkdsk two more time, both OK. I copied and binary compared some files in between the two, all OK. Safely removed from the Windows PC no problem. Any other suggestions to check on the ubuntu side?

michopop
December 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM
the same problem on nokia 5230 with a 16 gb sd card! any other solution then formating?