PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] oh god help if you can

dirtyburger
October 19th, 2010, 09:51 PM
i did something incredibly stupid

i was trying to resize some partitions in gparted and i ended up stupidly resizing my 249 gb storage partion and added a unallocated 1 mb!!!!

this process was going to take2 hours, so i rpess cancel

now that entire partition is unreadable!

im download acronis disk director to try and recovery the partition, but i have low hopes

does anyone have any ideas?

if i cant get this partition back its time for a new hobby, no way im downloading hundreds of gigs of music and movies and games again

please can anyone offer any ideas?

greatly apprecaited!!!!

pastalavista
October 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Everyone has to learn and unfortunately, it's usually the hard way. Partitioning is destructive. Backups are mandatory. Sorry for your bad luck.

sikander3786
October 19th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Sorry but it ends like that sometimes...

With little hopes, still you can try this if acronis fails. It is actually better than acronis, for me at least.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

dirtyburger
October 19th, 2010, 11:35 PM
no luck with either

guess im done with the computer

i have no motivation to restart all my downloads it took years

guess my computer is just for checking facebook now, seeing as now i have no goddamn music even

thanks for the help to anyone that helpd this will no doubt be the last youll see of me

noone ever partition your disk over something so goddamn stupid as 1 mb unallocated space

OCD will *** u over, dont worry about 1 mb :(*

uRock
October 19th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Key reason for running a backup before messing with partitions. I have had Gparted kill my partition table before, so I know the feeling, as I didn't have recent backups either. I spent a whole day installing from a backup just to spend 15 minutes burning data to readable disks.

sikander3786
October 19th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I am feeling sorry about that. I know it takes ages to setup your computer the way you want it. All your data, pics, music, videos, docs etc etc.

It is not the end. See it as a beginning for a fresh start. At once you started from scratch didn't you? Why can't it be done again?

This time you'll be more experienced so lesser downloads will bring more fun.

noone ever partition your disk over something so goddamn stupid as 1 mb unallocated space

I have also done some real stupid things like that but can't mention them.

I can just wish you Good Luck and Patience!

Regards.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 20th, 2010, 01:53 AM
no luck with either

guess im done with the computer

i have no motivation to restart all my downloads it took years

guess my computer is just for checking facebook now, seeing as now i have no goddamn music even

thanks for the help to anyone that helpd this will no doubt be the last youll see of me

OCD will *** u over, dont worry about 1 mb :(*

Don't give up on computers. You may be able to recover some of you stuff with TestDisk. Even if you can't, you have learned something valuable about backups. You can learn from mistakes.

I have used computers for a long time. I have had to restore from backups many times over the years. I have learned a few hard lessons along the way. For example, if you have a backup solution, you need to test it to make sure it works. I learned this by thinking I was backing up important files; however, I had password protected my email. OOPS, the email wasn't really being backed up. I lost 3 or 4 years of email.

I learned from the experience. I can now offer advice to my employer and their customers because of that experience.

You can turn your bad experience into something positive.

tommcd
October 20th, 2010, 02:10 AM
It may be a long shot at this point, but there is also the System Rescue CD that you could use to try and recover your data. It includes Test Disk, plus a lot of other stuff:
http://sysresccd.org/Main_Page
There is also the relatively new Ubuntu Rescue Remix:
http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/
As you have learned, resizing partitions can take a long time. You should schedule them for times when you will not be using the computer. Or you could use a Parted Magic live CD:
http://partedmagic.com/
By using a Parted Magic live CD, you will at least be able to browse the internet and listen to music CDs while the partitioning operation takes place. Parted Magic has never failed me.