PDA

View Full Version : I need some guidance for a OS

linux-hack
October 19th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hi there everyone. I hope I'm posting in the right place and if not I'm sorry mods :D.

I have my macbook pro and I'd like to install a linux in dualboot. But I was wondering witch distro is working smoothly with the macbooks (I know all linux distros work almost the same) ? But what I mean is a distro witch is "best" for macbooks pro's and laptops in general. I wanted to go with openSUSE. I tried ubuntu but I had a big problem with the batterie performances.

So I'm just looking for some advice here. To see may be other people can give me better ideas or advices.

Thanks for your help.

conundrumx
October 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM
You're going to get iffy battery performance from pretty much every OS other than OSX on a Macbook.

What release of Ubuntu did you try? Did you notice any particularly odd behaviors which may have contributed to bad battery life? I wouldn't recommend SUSE, but Fedora might be worth checking out. I know the core of the OS is solid (Fedora ~ Redhat = CentOS).

linux-hack
October 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I red one time in a linux book that openSUSE was better for laptops cause it gives more battery performance. I like fedora a lot too. I tried the new 10.04 ubuntu and had rely crapy battery performance. And heat problems too. And your right about Fedora, the core is rock solid. It's the small brother of RedHat. CentOS is strong 2.

I know I'll not get the same battery performance from linux as I get from OSX. But when I had linux the battery at full work was holding just (may be) 2h. On OSX if I work at full, I get at least 5h. So the difference is rely big. May be the linux developers community will make a small effort in making a kernel that eats less battery :D

conundrumx
October 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I red one time in a linux book that openSUSE was better for laptops cause it gives more battery performance. I like fedora a lot too. I tried the new 10.04 ubuntu and had rely crapy battery performance. And heat problems too. And your right about Fedora, the core is rock solid. It's the small brother of RedHat. CentOS is strong 2.

I know I'll not get the same battery performance from linux as I get from OSX. But when I had linux the battery at full work was holding just (may be) 2h. On OSX if I work at full, I get at least 5h. So the difference is rely big. May be the linux developers community will make a small effort in making a kernel that eats less battery :D

The book you read was probably outdated, misinformed, or just outright lying.

10.10 is the latest Ubuntu, might be worth giving that a shot. CentOS is Redhat, without the branding.

The heat and battery issues are linked. There's a lot of custom hardware in a Macbook, and Linux just doesn't know how to work with it the way OSX does. Depending on your needs running Linux in a VM might actually give you better battery life.

Serpher
October 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
RedHat costs money cause you have to buy support, CentOS and RedHat are enterprise server OSs, and Fedora is the experimental RedHat and as much as I love this family of Linux OSs, the only one suited towards Desktop users is outright unstable. Ubuntu is the best choice for anybody to start with IMO. I know a lot of people who use Linux and all of them use Red Hat/CentOS at work and Ubuntu at home.

linux-hack
October 20th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I like ubuntu a lot but it's not stable as other OSs. I have a linux mint 9 on another computer. But for the mac I want a more stable OS.I was thinking to go with ArchLinux maybe.

teejmya
October 21st, 2010, 04:24 PM
You should retry Ubuntu using some tips.

http://productivegeek.com/articles/how-to-maximize-the-battery-life-on-your-linux-laptop/

I know my Macbook's battery severely improved because of it.

linux-hack
October 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
You should retry Ubuntu using some tips.

http://productivegeek.com/articles/how-to-maximize-the-battery-life-on-your-linux-laptop/

I know my Macbook's battery severely improved because of it.

What autonomy do you have for your battery ?