PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Netbook Edition Live CD

sgvaibhav
October 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Hi,

i downloaded the latest version of ubuntu netbook edition.
the download page shows booting up in USB, as the only option to run it.

But i am/was never able to boot up any ubuntu's in USB's, so i always burn them onto a CD, and them boot them up using live CD.

So if i burn the netbook edition onto a CD/DVD, will it act like a live CD and allow me to boot up using that CD?? (or do i have to stick to the USB option only? )

layers
October 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hello.

As far as I know, the Ubuntu CD is a Live CD - when you boot from it, the first option will be to try Ubuntu, without installing it (it shouldn't matter if it's a CD/DVD or a USB stick).

For the other problem - you not being able to boot up from a USB - there has to be an option in the BIOS settings. I think most computers now have it, but I would double check that, and also the order of boot-up devices - USB option should come before HDD boot.

sgvaibhav
October 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
hmm
i actually know the live cd option.
and i know its there in the normal ubuntu desktop edition.

but my doubt was, that does the ubuntu netbook edition also have LIVE CD support?

macem29
October 19th, 2010, 07:19 PM
yes, the NBR is available in live format, when expanding the ISO to a CD, or on a pen drive

layers
October 20th, 2010, 02:04 AM
hmm
i actually know the live cd option.
and i know its there in the normal ubuntu desktop edition.

but my doubt was, that does the ubuntu netbook edition also have LIVE CD support?

Yes, it's the same as the Desktop edition. I was using it two weeks ago.

drs305
October 20th, 2010, 02:18 AM
If you already have Grub 2 as your bootloader, you can also just boot the LiveCD ISO directly from the Grub menu. You don't even need to burn a CD if you don't want to.

The ISO follows the standard Ubuntu conventions from what I remember, so the information in this thread applies:
ISO Booting with Grub 2 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1549847)

sgvaibhav
October 20th, 2010, 07:32 AM
ok thanks...
i will soon be putting ubuntu NBR, in my old rusty laptop xD