PDA

View Full Version : DSL and Puppy Linux

ged25
October 19th, 2010, 01:14 PM
When running these distros from a usb flash drive, is the full OS loaded into the RAM ?
Can I load it entirely into the RAM and then be able to remove the USB stick ?

nlsthzn
October 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
When running these distros from a usb flash drive, is the full OS loaded into the RAM ?

I unfortunately don't have any experience with DSL and very limited experience with Puppy however the "live" distro's I have used in the past always needed the USB/CD/DVD to remain attached to the system...

Hmmm... have a read here, it might be possible in Puppy: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16434&sid=94dbb3e88e081a375b9bb40244995e72

aladinonl
October 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
yes. That's the purpose of the distros actually.

Spice Weasel
October 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Yep. DSL, Puppy, TinyCore and Alpine Linux all do this. (Alpine even does it when installed to hard drive to increase speed.)

K.Mandla
October 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
DSL doesn't do it by default, but includes it as a boot option.

Plumtreed
October 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
You can do that with Slitaz!

amjjawad
October 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Slax and Slitaz both do that. With Slax, you can choose from a list of options and if I'm not wrong, the first option is to load it entirely to RAM. Slitaz doesn't even ask, it loads by default to the RAM.

Never liked DSL.
Maybe I need to try Puppy one day.

ALL LiveCD-Distributions load to the RAM but some might need the live media to keep operate normally. Once you decide to install into your HDD, then it's another story.

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I really like DSL for a super light distro. Puppy however seems to be made for little children.

ronnielsen1
October 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Puppy however seems to be made for little children.
Post that one over at Puppy Forums. Some puplets are alright but it seems difficult to find good documentation on adding software

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry, contrary to popular belief, I don't go to distro/OS forums to tell them their OS sucks.

NightwishFan
October 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Puppy does not suck what a shameful thing to say. It has a lot of useful tools for how light it was. (Not is, seems like it is much heavier now but I could be wrong).

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I didn't say it sucked because it wouldn't be useful, I said it sucks because its image is for little children.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7686/puppylinux.png

Need I say more?

NightwishFan
October 20th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Thats just childish and prude in itself. :D

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Well, coming from someone who watches the anime you watch, it's not surprising you'd be defensive.

snowpine
October 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Lots of grownups like cute puppy dogs. :)

I am not a big Puppy/DSL user (though I've given both a thorough test drive) but I did use SliTaz for a while when I was stuck on older hardware. (Actually I have a soft spot for the original SliTaz 1.0, with JWM and the red background.) Been meaning to try Tiny Core one of these days too...

NightwishFan
October 20th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Well, coming from someone who watches the anime you watch, it's not surprising you'd be defensive.

(Not offended). What is that supposed to mean? Cite examples please! Edit: Also I am not defensive, just calling you on being rude/wrong etc. Someone has to. :)

CraigPaleo
October 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I love the name "Lucid Puppy." Was there a warty puppy too? \\:D/

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Cc5y8I8Np7Q/RXtCWktgHiI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/LtB2n-4719g/s320/ugliest+dog.jpg

NightwishFan
October 20th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I love the name "Lucid Puppy." Was there a warty puppy too? \\:D/

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Cc5y8I8Np7Q/RXtCWktgHiI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/LtB2n-4719g/s320/ugliest+dog.jpg

:D Works. Still though, puppy is pretty cool as a ram/flash distro.

Hmm.. I wonder where pwnst*r went. Either he realized this argument had no point for either of us or he is out planning to really get me good. :D

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
(Not offended). What is that supposed to mean? Cite examples please! Edit: Also I am not defensive, just calling you on being rude/wrong etc. Someone has to. :)

We can take this to PM's so we don't get this thread closed, mkay.

NightwishFan
October 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Sure if you have anything important enough to really say, feel free :)

nlsthzn
October 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
We can take this to PM's so we don't get this thread closed, mkay.

Sure if you have anything important enough to really say, feel free :)

Fight! Fight! ... just remember what is said about winning a fight on the Internet...

Interesting that it is the same few users I see popping up in threads that have nothing of any use to say except bad mouth the thread topic, OP or other users posts... :confused:

OT: Only tried Puppy Linux once, I don't have any hardware that needs such a light weight distro but I was pleasantly surprised how well it looked for something that could run on such limited hardware...

NightwishFan
October 20th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I have no intention to fight (verbally or otherwise) with the user. He is just pulling my leg. :)

The newest puppy is actually based on Ubuntu so I believe it has access to all the .deb files for Ubuntu 10.04.

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Fight! Fight! ... just remember what is said about winning a fight on the Internet...

Interesting that it is the same few users I see popping up in threads that have nothing of any use to say except bad mouth the thread topic, OP or other users posts... :confused:

OT: Only tried Puppy Linux once, I don't have any hardware that needs such a light weight distro but I was pleasantly surprised how well it looked for something that could run on such limited hardware...

I said that DSL is good and that Puppy looks like it was made for children. How is that bad mouthing the topic or the OP?

Get a grip.

ronnielsen1
October 21st, 2010, 03:27 AM
The newest puppy is actually based on Ubuntu so I believe it has access to all the .deb files for Ubuntu 10.04.

Not to get off the subject of you two but while Puppy lucid is based on Ubuntu, if you actually try to install anything meaningful from ubuntu repos, it will give you the same dependency hell I always run across from Puppy. The tiny distro shows promise because it's lightning fast but I can never install the apps I want to make it a legitimate hard-drive-installed distro. However, if I want to test a new box or one I'm working on, it's one of my first choices.