PDA

View Full Version : pthread and concurrent programming under ubuntu

balteo
October 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hello,

I would like to know what is the best way to develop concurrent applications in C++ under linux. I don't know whether to go for the Boost library of directly code using the Pthread C API.

Can anyone please kindly give their advice?

Is Boost the standard wrapper around Pthreads?

Thanks in advance,

Julien.

dwhitney67
October 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Boost does wrap the pthreads for Unix/Linux, and does something similar for Windoze using M$ proprietary API. Boost is not recognized as a standard for anything; it is merely an extension to C++.

Soon, hopefully in my lifetime, parts of Boost will be incorporated in the C++0x standard.

Personally, I think you should learn to use the pthread library before using Boost.

balteo
October 19th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Boost does wrap the pthreads for Unix/Linux, and does something similar for Windoze using M$ proprietary API. Boost is not recognized as a standard for anything; it is merely an extension to C++.

Soon, hopefully in my lifetime, parts of Boost will be incorporated in the C++0x standard.

Personally, I think you should learn to use the pthread library before using Boost.

Thanks for your reply. The only problem I find with pthread is that it is in C and not C++. What I am going to try and do is learn both.

dwhitney67
October 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks for your reply. The only problem I find with pthread is that it is in C and not C++. What I am going to try and do is learn both.

Nonsense; pthreads can be used with C++. Want to see...

#include <pthread.h>
#include <iostream>

class MyThread
{
public:
MyThread(int iters = 5)
: iterations(iters)
{
}

void start()
{
pthread_create(&tid, 0, helper, this);
}

pthread_t getThreadID() const
{
return tid;
}

private:
static void* helper(void* arg)
{
MyThread* t = reinterpret_cast<MyThread*>(arg);

for (int i = 0; i < t->iterations; ++i)
{
std::cout << "The thread is running." << std::endl;
}

return 0;
}

int iterations;
pthread_t tid;
};

int main()
{
MyThread thread;

thread.start();

int* status = 0;

pthread_join(thread.getThreadID(), (void**) &status);

return 0;
}

Of course, the code above is not completely OO-ish, but it demonstrates the fundamentals.

balteo
October 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Ok...
Thanks.
J.