PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best Window Manager

stat30fbliss
October 19th, 2010, 03:58 AM
It's been some time since I have used Ubuntu last, about a year and a half ago, and I am just starting to customize my brand new Ubuntu 10.04. Back in 8.04 Advanced Window Manager (AWN) and Cairo were the two top window managers out there. Has anything changed, is there something newer or better out there for me to check out?

Thanks!

sikander3786
October 19th, 2010, 07:06 AM
AWN and Cairo are just the docks that sit anywhere on your screen and act like a panel/application launcher.

Compiz is enabled by default as it was in 8.04.

Compiz + Emerald + AWN/Cairo-Dock is a good eye candy combination.

Metacity is a lighter window manager if you prefer not using compiz but then you'll also not be able to use any docks at all.

stat30fbliss
October 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Ill have to train myself to get good at doing the whole cross platform dock. Aka compiz + emerald + awn...

Any tutorials around to help me get that done on my own?

I did however find Docky, which has been a fun simple alternative to both Avant and Cairo.

perspectoff
October 19th, 2010, 06:20 PM
AWN and Cairo are just the docks that sit anywhere on your screen and act like a panel/application launcher.

Compiz is enabled by default as it was in 8.04.

Compiz + Emerald + AWN/Cairo-Dock is a good eye candy combination.

Metacity is a lighter window manager if you prefer not using compiz but then you'll also not be able to use any docks at all.

Where is Compiz enabled by default?

On Ubuntu (Gnome) I thought it was Metacity by default and on Kubuntu (KDE) it is KWin by default. And, yes, several docks work with both.

sikander3786
October 19th, 2010, 06:32 PM
A new, updated and nice guide here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1545480

Where is Compiz enabled by default?

Point well taken. Sorry I meant that it is installed and supported by default.

several docks work with both.

I have no experience with docky, but for comiz, kiba and awn, I think they need compiz as window manager for compositing.