PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 install disc locks up

brad1138
October 19th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I DLed 10.10 iso and burned it to cd. When I try to boot with cd, it starts up fine, I get the Ubuntu logo with rolling dots, but after a few mins it freezes (with logo still on screen). I have been running Ubuntu on this comp for years.

Any ideas?

73ckn797
October 19th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I DLed 10.10 iso and burned it to cd. When I try to boot with cd, it starts up fine, I get the Ubuntu logo with rolling dots, but after a few mins it freezes (with logo still on screen). I have been running Ubuntu on this comp for years.

Any ideas?

Burn another CD? I have had to do that even after verifying md5sums and checking disk after a slow burn.

dhavalbbhatt
October 19th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Burn another CD? I have had to do that even after verifying md5sums and checking disk after a slow burn.

Don't burn another CD without doing a couple of things - verify the MD5 of the ISO you downloaded and if that checks out, then before installing the OS, do a "check the CD for errors" test. If that checks out as well, then download the DVD version of 10.10 and burn the DVD. Apparently, that worked for me.

Dhaval

73ckn797
October 19th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Don't burn another CD without doing a couple of things - verify the MD5 of the ISO you downloaded and if that checks out, then before installing the OS, do a "check the CD for errors" test. If that checks out as well, then download the DVD version of 10.10 and burn the DVD. Apparently, that worked for me.

Dhaval
I was assuming those steps were already performed.
I have not used a DVD download but may consider it due to the issues I have had with 10.10.

brad1138
October 20th, 2010, 04:56 AM
None of that worked, I can't even run the "check disc" option. no matter what I select from the initial menu, "Install" or "run from cd" or "check disc for errors" I get a lock up. I did hit Esc and saw this:

(process:330): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
stdin:error 0

chroot: can't execute 'mktemp': Input/output error
chroot: can't execute 'debconf-communicate': Input/output error
etc, etc

It will keep going on and list at least a dozen "chroot: can't execute" then freeze.

I dled a new 10.10 iso from different mirror, both this and old passed md5. Both seem to do the same thing, although I didn't hit Esc on the first disc.

I can't even run w/o installing, there seems to be a major prob here.

Any ideas?

brad1138
October 21st, 2010, 01:15 AM
Bump

blackbird3216
October 23rd, 2010, 05:57 AM
I have the same exact problem. It is a Dell Dimension 4600. I am using windows xp on it right now, and I was trying to boot 10.10 from the disc. Unfortunately, it also freezes at the "ubuntu" flash screen. I don't get ANY options, no "test" no reboot, nothing. I freeze at the first ubuntu screen, and I don't get an option to try it out. Anybody have a solution?

If it means anything, the computer ran 9.04 perfectly. I am currently running 9.10 on my main, but I wanted to try 10.10 on my alternate to see how well it works. It doesn't boot.

blackbird3216
October 23rd, 2010, 06:01 AM
FWIW, i am using an intel chipset on this pc. My main has a NVIDIA chip, so I've never had a problem with it. 8.10 froze on this computer (my alternate) however, and I never bothered to fix it. I bet it was a problem with the integrated intel chip.

73ckn797
October 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
10.10 worked good on a Toshiba laptop with Intel chipset. Had several problems on a desktop running an AMD chipset. Reverted back to 9.10 which works fine on both machines. I was having Firefox shut down randomly and my HP J4580 All-in-One scanner quit working under 10.10. No problems running 9.10.

I was mostly not being able to run Xsane under 10.10 since it is no longer included beginning with 10.04. Simple-scan was worthless for my needs but the scanner did work after having to clean out the /home folder of configuration files. I left only the document folder and let the installer recreate those items. That got the scanner working under Simple-scan but Firefox kept crashing.

8.10 was also problematic.

blackbird3216
October 31st, 2010, 03:50 AM
Anybody knows?